Algae Turf Scrubber?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Just checking to see who is using this setup and also showing my build in stages. I am taking my time to build this so it not only functions properly but looks decent to boot. The tank is a 65 gallon hex so you know what I am dealing with.

Here are the first set of pics, sorry they are not very good but you can get a general idea of what I am doing.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-19.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-20.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-21.jpg

Ok so the first pic shows the spray bar in place .
Second pic shows the rough plumbed unit, I have to install a coupling and a ball valve before I glue everything together.
Third picture is the holes I drilled in both sides to fit the lights, this will allow the lights to be within an inch of the screen but the fixture outside away from the water.
Fourth pic is with the drain from tank bulk head installed.

So far that is all I have, in the end the screen will be 8"x8" double sided so 96 square inches, it will have 2x23w of CFL equivalent to 200 watts giving me 3 wpg, the pump is a 500 gph and I will need a min of 280 gph to make this work properly so I have a little to play with.

The return pump to the tank will be external and low flow probably 500 gph giving me after head pressure about 380 to 420 gph that will turn the tank over 5 times and hour give or take. I am setting up a closed loop system for flow in the tank probably 800gph through 4 returns maybe a little more pump but haven't decided yet.

Well there you have it. Thoughts, advice, and suggestions welcome!

Eric

mbdave

I have used scrubbers in the past and the only problem was yellowing of the water and good carbon takes care of that. Theres a guy in Indiana "Morgan Lidster" owns Inland Aquatics, he was and I'm sure still is big on ATS on the Inland web site theres info I can't remember the url but a yahoo will find it.
Good luck,
Dave

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I was warned of the yellow water but heard carbon works as you suggested and it's good to know.

Here is a picture of today's progress.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-22.jpg

I used a paper to mock the usable part of the screen which is 12"x8" my previous math got all mess up. I also used a router to get my groove and added the heater which was tough, you should have seen me installing that long reach into the depths of the sump and pressing the suction cup tight against the acrylic whhooo that was tough. ;) to bad I didn't film it for instant replay on you tube. Lol ok enough of that.

Dave do you no longer use ats? If so why not? ;) I hear so much good but there has to be a little negative, no one type of filtration is perfect.

Thanks
Eric

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Almost done.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-23.jpg

Ok first pic shows the final plumbing coupling and valve in place. Second is the light fixture in place. The fixture is only pvc and completely adjustable, when I get the lights I will finish it and paint it all black, I will use dowle pins to keep the pipe in place rather than glue that way if I need to change it later I can just move it or add different lengths of pvc.

--------------------------------------------------- Here are a few more pics of both fixtures installed and the last two show a little of the versatility. I just tossed those bulbs in for effect.

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-24.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-25.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzMuanBn.jpg

Everything that is not clear acrylic will be painted black so it will look a little better when it's finished.

Eric

I set mine up in a bucket, doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours does! I'm having probs pulling out the screen to clean and and putting it back properly. I'm thinking of cutting a peice of eggcrate and attaching the screen to that, so that it stays in place.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well I am thinking about making my fixing my screen permanently in the spray bar, I will be able to lift the lid, spray bar, and screen out in one shot. They sell that hard plastic air line at the LFS not sure of the size maybe 1/8"? Anyway I can drill a hole through the spray bar and screen, then cut the air line to length and slide it through both pieces and just glue it in place with pvc glue. That will hold the screen there permanently, I may just try drilling it and inserting the air line and turn it on if it only leaks a drop or two I won't bother to glue them. This way if I do want to remove the screen I can just slide the airline out and the screen will drop down.

Here are the lights wired and working. Just test bulbs I have to get the cfl's tomorrow.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMzUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BL01lZGlhIENhcmQvQmxhY2tCZX-26.jpg

Eric

jnohs

yes definaly do not use those pights they will explode once they are hot and water gets on them. I do not belive you will have the same problem eih cfl's. since they run at a cooler temp. but I would recomend a thin glas splash guard that is easliy removed, clean or replaced . Because if that bulb does explode the merccury and other nasties in a cfl are probably not good for your tank. by the by that scrubber looks top notch. I am not really in to filters on reeftanks. but the turff scrubbers seem to be a happy medium between mechanical and natural filteration. the mechanical part being the harvesting of alge off the scrubber also when the alge grows thick and starts acting like a filter pad. Alsothe natural part where the alge acts as a radical reactiant and help remove any toxic nasties. maybe by reacting with a coral toxin and binding to it then maybe a very small amount dies. and now becomes a doc and gets skimmed out by the protine skimmer. If I, I mean when I upgrade from my 75 I tink I am going to try a turff scrubber. Also with DIY projects I allway heavily recomend running it on a GFI curcit.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I found out I have to run 23w cfl floods so the bulbs will be outside the sump, I wish I didn't drill those holes now lol, takes care of the splash guard anyway.

I should have it done tonight for a test run, I have to get to lowes before 5pm.

Eric