HELP! Algae issues

purelean

Hi all. I have started a new reef tank it's a red Sea max e 260. It has been going for a couple of weeks now. I started
It with ATM Colony. My parameters all good!
The last few days I have had a serious green film algae bloom that I can't seem to get under control!
I clean the glass and a few hours later it's covered again!
I have started up tanks in the past and never had this problem so bad before!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this or do I not have anything to worry about as it's a new tank? Look forward to some answers [emoji4]

a2cd6837e53932a05093cc911ca1e0be.jpg

mtsully71

purelean,

Here's where I would start, it's hard to answer this question because you gave no info. So here we go.....

You mentioned a couple weeks, I would check your nitrates (less than 10), phosphates (less than .010). People differ on this, some go for the 0.0 on both. I have less than 5 and around .005 in my tank.

I don't see fish (excess food)? Are you dosing anything or supplementing corals?

How is the skimming and water circulation?

How long are your lights on? Are you sure you using good RODI?

My honest guess is that you might still be cycling and need to do some water changes, and give the rocks a scrubbing with a toothbrush. I think if you can answer those questions above you will solve your problem.

http://www.reeftank.com/html/reeftank_algae_control.html

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

GL
Sully

and :rbwwelc: to RS.......like the scape!

Last edited:

DaveK

This is a new setup. Algae blooms are not at all unusual. For now, I'd reduce the amount of light your using, and except for cleaning the glass, leave things alone. Don't mess with too much and don't panic. Usually these early blooms run their course in a few weeks.

Unless you find you have a really out of control nitrate or phosphate problem there is no need to do water changes right now. In fact, if the tank is still cycling, doing a water change usually slows down the process.

Paul B

Here is what I would do. Nothing. Maybe go out to dinner and have a nice glass of Merlot. Or a beer.
It is perfectly normal for a couple of week old tank to grow algae. If it didn't grow algae, then something would be wrong. So you can reduce nutrients, lower the lighting, add Magnesium, and do the macarana if you are good at that, but you will still have that algae. It takes time and algae is good, it's normal and natural. Algae is actually helping cycle the tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good advise ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

SPR

A similar things happened with me and my 260 when I started it up but it generally clears up and you just need to keep checking all the parimeters

Also make sure the protein skimmer is working to its best capacity. It's very good in this system but it took me around 2-3 months before I fully understood how it works properly and now the water is crystal clear.

I also started using Red Seas NoPoX after 2 months and that helped as well. Mine also was a new tank and i started dosing this as soon and No3 was over around 5 at the time and it came down over a week or so. It's still only 4 months old but I have just upgraded to the Max 650 and will start NoPoX a bit earlier this time so from the beginning, having also cycled with ATM Colony.

purelean

Thanks for all the response. It has cleared up. I assumed it happened as it's a new set up. I left lights out for 3 days and all back to normal!

Just panicked a little as I have never had a bloom as bad as this one got!

Appreciate the help

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk