Algae growing over my Zoanthids

jimv

I have a white hair algae growing over some of my Zoanthids. I have some other colonies that are fine and this is the only place in the tank i see this type of algae. Any ideas what this is? How can I get rid of it?

IMG_1055_zps1f0ae312.jpg

frisbee

It looks like some sort of a sponge to me. You might want to get a brush or something and see if it will come off. Be gentle.

gbose

I had an issue like that, but with green hair algae. It took a few weeks to solve, but I:
- Reduced feeding amounts
- Reduced lighting times
- Added CUC (snails and hermit crabs)
- Manually pulled the algae off my zoas, using a pair of tweezers.

A couple of bit of zoas died anyway, but the rest recovered well.

Good luck!

GBose

21cloves

everything gbose said and maybe a phosphate pad in ur filter...do u use RO, DI, or tap water? Have algae problems in general? Set ur lights for 12 hrs on n 12 off if not already. How often do u feed your fish and what kind/how many fish do you have? sorry so many questions but i want to help considering i had algae problems in the past...

jimv

everything gbose said and maybe a phosphate pad in ur filter...do u use RO, DI, or tap water? Have algae problems in general? Set ur lights for 12 hrs on n 12 off if not already. How often do u feed your fish and what kind/how many fish do you have? sorry so many questions but i want to help considering i had algae problems in the past...

I use RODI water and my TDS is at 0 coming out of the unit. My salt is at 1.025, PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 and Phosphate is at 0 but I am still getting a bit of algae growth (green, red, brown and whatever is growing on my Zoanthids) and have some spirorbis popping up that I am told indicate high nutrients. I did pick up some Chemi-Pure Elite to replace my carbon with but I have not done so as of yet. I'm currently running my lights for 8 hours a day. The bulbs and actually the entire tank is approximately 3 months old. I am not feeding much because I currently have no fish in the tank (they are in a quarantine tank) and only have blue hermit crabs and snails. A lot of my Nassarius snails have gone missing (my Cerith and Margarita's I see all the time) but I would think if they were decaying my water parameters would be off. I'll try to post an whole tank pic later so you can see how much algae I have.

ccrocks

I use RODI water and my TDS is at 0 coming out of the unit. My salt is at 1.025, PH 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 and Phosphate is at 0 but I am still getting a bit of algae growth (green, red, brown and whatever is growing on my Zoanthids) and have some spirorbis popping up that I am told indicate high nutrients. I did pick up some Chemi-Pure Elite to replace my carbon with but I have not done so as of yet. I'm currently running my lights for 8 hours a day. The bulbs and actually the entire tank is approximately 3 months old. I am not feeding much because I currently have no fish in the tank (they are in a quarantine tank) and only have blue hermit crabs and snails. A lot of my Nassarius snails have gone missing (my Cerith and Margarita's I see all the time) but I would think if they were decaying my water parameters would be off. I'll try to post an whole tank pic later so you can see how much algae I have.

the nassarius will need food without fish since they mainly eat fish waste and any uneaten food left over
they could be starving when i add food they pop out of the sand to find it. your rocks are very clean so I'm guessing everything is going hungry hopefully you only have a few

jimv

I manually removed the the algae with some tweezers and the the Zoanthids looked good for about a week. No I have a red algae taking over.
IMG_1126_zpsad266ea3.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That red algae looks seriously annoying! My tank is between 2 & 3 months old also & I am having algae problems. I'm just keeping my tests done & water changes made. I did add a new bag of Purigen & swaped out one bag of Chemipure Elite yesterday for a fresh bag. Running my lights only 8 hours also. It's frustrating but I'm hoping it will run it's corse without harming any corals. I also added a Vortech MP10 for making better water flow. It just takes TIME for any changes made to make a difference.
Good Luck to You!

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
The earlier green algae is just a nuisance algae. I say that because I forgot the name. Usually caused by low Mag. levels.

The red looks like Cyano bacteria.

Has the tank cycled?

New tank setup?