Algae cleanout What to do with the excess?

Not certain if this is the right area to post this but looking to start a creative discussion on possible uses for the algae we remove from our tanks every day.

Just to clarify, the algae I am referring to is the stuff you scrape off a turf scrubber or the floaty filamentous algae that grows in my fuge and floats to the top. Also, what about our surplus Chaeto and other desirable macro algaes.

I know you can always try and sell your surplus macro
The first obvious question is how do we dispose of our unwanted Algae?
Is it ok to flush or does this cause problems for our water treatment facilities?
Should it be thrown out in the trash?

I'd like to hear if anyone has any creative solutions for recycling/repurposing their "throw away" algae.
Can it be composted?
Anybody making their own Nori? ;)

DaveK

Most of the unwanted algaes tend to be the sort of thing no one else wants. I guess you could rinse it off in FW and then compost it.

If you have desirable macro algaes, you could sell or give them away to others.

If you have tangs, then might eat some it for you, Go easy on this.

I usually throw it out in the trash. If you try to flush large amounts or otherwise run it down the drain, it can clog it. You often get quite a mat of material out.

Whatever you do with unwanted algae, never ever dispose of it in any local waterways. You might introduce an invasive species.

StirCrayzy

In the trash with mine most of the year.
spring and fall, I rinse and toss in my garden before I till it.

reefer gladness

Trash - it's 100% biodegradable

Also, if you live anywhere near an ocean remember 'all drains lead to the ocean'. Caulerpa for example is banned in California as an invasive species for our local waters.