Algae blooms, help

How many times will i get these algae blooms, so far my sand has been brown, red, green, black now its green and brown with a touch of red, i do a 10% WC every week, i tukey bast the rocks, scrape the sand, i have mag 9 running full force, skimmer runs wide open, sg is 1026, ph 8.1, amm. 0 nitrate 05, nitrite 0 and on top of that i think my tang has something attached to it, a little brown dot on his side. TIA

Glenn

rkplucker

I get one every time I add a couple of corals, or if I've had my hand in the tank for a while, or when I stir up my refugium. I think it's a normal cycle.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Until your tank stabilizes you'll have these algea blooms. Alot of flow will help reduce the feedings and if it isn't a reef then reduce the photoperiod and that should help. Do you use tap water or RO ?
That could be the source of the problem.

Brucey

Yep, good call cheaks. Are you using RO / DI or tap water. And you haven't mentioned what your Phosphate readings are. If you have phosphates, your never going to lose your algae blooms. There are other things you can be doing to alleviate this problem as well. You could remove the SB and go BareBottom. I have found this worked wonders in my tank. The phosphates were leaching out of the DSB. Reduce the photopoeriod. Feed less to your fish. Set the skimmer to wetter. Dose Kalk which precipitates phosphates and allows your skmieer to remove them. Raise the PH, microalgae doesn't like high PH values.

PS, How long has the tank been up. I suffered from algae problems for 3 months before it died down.

Brucey

I use distilled water, that saz ro/di process on the label, I feed every other day, i leave the lights on for 10 hrs, ill play with the skimmer today, see if i can get it wetter. Thanks cheeks and Brucey