Algae Bloom? Please Help

iamspeed

Hi there;

I think I am having an algae bloom. I am adding a dose of Microbacter 7 every day, as prescribed in the bottle (2 weeks) since Sunday. I can notice the patches on the glass and back of the tank and the water looks a bit hazy.
Is there anything else I should be doing?

Please look at the photos

28 Gallon with Algae issue pictures by cmdmd - Photobucket

my tanks levels are:

Ammonia = .25ppm
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
pH = 8.2
Salinity = 1.025

Goober35

How long has your tank been up and running, and did you even let your tank cycle. I would not worry about the algae. I would be more worried about the ammonia in your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
iamspeed please don't take this as a personal attack on you but some advice for a fellow reefer.

• A) Slow Down a bit! You're just now 3-4 weeks in so you are still cycling most likely! Have you seen your tanks water parameters SPIKE throughout to show you DID have a cycle?
  • B) You might have created a good part of your problem with the "Rock" from a tank that had a nasty GHA infection to begin with. Your tank was just set up with some Live Rock and some "Old" rock. Yes I see where you stated it had been "in a bucket of water for months" but I feel like you need to do more. Here is something I just sent to someone earlier tonight on this same topic

Well I look at it like this.....
    Algae is one of the oldest and most basic forms of "Complex" life on the planet. It's survived Fire, Ice, Freshwater, DRYNESS and just about anything else you can throw at it short of chemicals. Many people have infected their tank with DRY CLEAN ROCK not realizing that it "could" of had dormant algae spore hidden inside the nooks n crannies of the rock.

Here is a link of where I talked about a couple of "Cooking Procedures"
    http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/61347-cooking-lr.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/61744-cooking-base-rocks.html

Keep in mind I'm no "Expert" on Rock Cooking I'm just going from some personal experience as well as great advice from trusted experts in the hobby.
  • C) At this early stage I think I would seriously consider taking some "aggressive" steps to get your tank back in control and get rid of the potential for HA or at least minimize it.

Tuna

On a new tank you will have an algae bloom at first.. What is your lighting schedule? You should stop dosing also and let nature take it's course.. And changing half the water might be a good idea.

iamspeed

The rock was dead like a door nail (Dry and baking in the sun for a year. Bought 10 lbs of live rock from a trusted shop). The tank had its spikes of NH3, NO2 and then changed a bit of the water. EVerything had been ok....

iamspeed please don't take this as a personal attack on you but some advice for a fellow reefer.

• A) Slow Down a bit! You're just now 3-4 weeks in so you are still cycling most likely! Have you seen your tanks water parameters SPIKE throughout to show you DID have a cycle?
  • B) You might have created a good part of your problem with the "Rock" from a tank that had a nasty GHA infection to begin with. Your tank was just set up with some Live Rock and some "Old" rock. Yes I see where you stated it had been "in a bucket of water for months" but I feel like you need to do more. Here is something I just sent to someone earlier tonight on this same topic

• C) At this early stage I think I would seriously consider taking some "aggressive" steps to get your tank back in control and get rid of the potential for HA or at least minimize it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think you understand. The spores can take drying out in the sun for a year. How do you think they've survived all the tests of time? :dunno:

This isn't the first tank I've seen go south with an Algae Bloom from "Dry Sun-baked" rock.

Good luck and happy reefing :)

iamspeed

That blows. So, sit and wait to see what happens, or.....?

I don't think you understand. The spores can take drying out in the sun for a year. How do you think they've survived all the tests of time? :dunno:

This isn't the first tank I've seen go south with an Algae Bloom from "Dry Sun-baked" rock.

Good luck and happy reefing :)

Jolene29

:lookaroun I'm not sure how old your tank is? I am still fairly new to reef aquarium world. Started in March of 2010, but I read alot.
My bio cube 29 Gallon went through an algae bloom at the end of it cycle. Freaked me out initially, the algae disappeared as quickly as it came. Once all my levels ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite went to zero - I added the janitors to the tank. I am very proud to say my bio cube is my quarantine tank now and I am proud owner of 65 gallon Red Sea Max. I know it is hard to wait to add all the fun things (my daughter was going nuts, so I had to buy her a betta) I wish you the best of luck. My most valuable lesson I learned alot about the chemistry before adding any fish, corals and such. I had a blast the first two months just watching my live rock and sand come alive, before investing in my first fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jolene it's a very young/new set-up. On 9/12/2010 iamspeed said

Hello boys and girls;

I set up my tank with 20lbs of live sand, 10 gallons of seasoned water, 6lbs of live rock to seed some old rock that I got from someone that removed it from their tank after a hair algae infestation. The rock was out of the tank dry for like 12 months. I washed the rock with a garden hose until there was no debris left. After setting up the rock the way I wanted, I noticed some residue of algae in some areas, some was green. Didnt look bright green, but green. Some other spots were yellow.

Should I get the rock out and soak it on something, let it dry, wash it and then re-introduce it?

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

Goober35

Iamspeed from what you have said in your first post. ".25 Ammonia" Your tank has not fully cycled. You need to wait untill your levels go down to zero. This could take a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Your rock still has die off in it and it is breaking down and the other bacteria is consuming it and growing.

If i where you, I would have someone that you trust and have them take your fish and CUC and put them in there quarantine tank. Then turn the lights off and take a deli shrimp and toss it in your tank. Wait 2-3 weeks or so and start testing. Once your water test equal zero you can add 1 or 2 of your fish back and test ever day make sure your levels stay at zero. After 1 month then add your other fish. This will give your tank time to grow bacteria that can handle the bio load in the tank.

Your tank must crawl before it can walk or you will be killing a lot of live stock off and most likely you will give up and shut down your tank.

Just my .02