Advice Needed Please!!!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Hi.
Got up this morning and my tank water looked a bit murky.
Opened the lid to do the morning feed and BAM!
The surface of the water is green and cloudy and has hundreds of eggs floating on it.
There is also loads on the Tonga branch on the right-hand side of my tank, which is where a couple of Algae Eating Hermits were sat yesterday?
Could they be hermit eggs?
The only quiet member of my tank is the Red Shrimp.
Everyone else is active as usual and nothing is eating the eggs, but all of the corals are popping more than usual and extended more than before.
Any suggestions please???

c9d926b2-4313-4162-bb85-680de479355a_zps031b0d80.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P4080002_zps5256cef4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P4080003_zps28d420e5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have no idea Wayne, hopefully some others have ideas.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I have no idea Wayne, hopefully some others have ideas.

At first glance, they look like polystyrene balls.
I've collected as many as I can from the surface water and put them in a "quick DIY" hatchery until I know what they are.
Whilst removing them, I've also skimmed alot of the green gunk off of the surface as well. Looks like algae?
All of my corals are out on their stalks, I've never seen any of them so extended and full.
Every Zoa head is popping, the Euphyllia is twice as long as normal, so what ever the green stuff is, they seem to like it?
I've tried to find anything I can about Algae Eating Hermit eggs but so far I've found nothing.
It's definitely not snail eggs from what I've seen about them. (I have Cerith, Nassarius and Spiney Astrea snails.)
I await anymore input from you lot if you have any?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If I had to take a stab at it I would vote against eggs of some sort but that's just a guess.

My first guess would be green algae of some sort. It seems highly unlikely that eggs of any nature would hang around long enough in the tank to be seen for such a long time.

Again these are just shots in the dark:)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
If I had to take a stab at it I would vote against eggs of some sort but that's just a guess.

My first guess would be green algae of some sort. It seems highly unlikely that eggs of any nature would hang around long enough in the tank to be seen for such a long time.

Again these are just shots in the dark:)

Hi Mark.
It looks like you are right.
I've cleaned the glass of the green stuff so I can see the Tonga branch better and it is a hair algae with air/gas bubbles.
Can you help I.D. what algae it is and a course of action?

P4080008_zps01ec9495.jpg
[/URL]; [/IMG]

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Almost looks like green bubble algae...Do a quick search on that and see if that's it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If so... ^ green bubble algae & it does look like that in the last pic, just do a wc & siphon it out.

bit hard to tell... if is it just nitrogen bubbles... if the latter, just blow them off with like a turkey baster... when doing wc

slfcaptain

Dont some macro algae reproduce sexually? I've read that Serrulata can go sexual though I dont know what it looks like when it does.

Just throwing some ideas out.

steve

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
If so... ^ green bubble algae & it does look like that in the last pic, just do a wc & siphon it out.

bit hard to tell... if is it just nitrogen bubbles... if the latter, just blow them off with like a turkey baster... when doing wc

Thanks Guys.
I've siphoned the bubble algae from the Tonga branch and given my rocks a good clean with my stainless-steel wire brush.
I'm going to give it a 30% w/c next.
I can't believe how much it changed in the six hours from going to bed and getting up again. Scary!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks like air bubbles to me & from searching pictures of Calothrix Dinoflagellates...that'd be my guess.
What's your phosphate level running? You may need to add more LR for long term relief of it.
I'd be doing a WC & siphoning off all I could....cloudy water would worry me.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Looks like air bubbles to me & from searching pictures of Calothrix Dinoflagellates...that'd be my guess.
What's your phosphate level running? You may need to add more LR for long term relief of it.
I'd be doing a WC & siphoning off all I could....cloudy water would worry me.

Yeah, that's the one Di. :cry1:
It's
:cursin:Dinoflagellates!:verymad:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
You are still in your 1st 6months of UTS (ugly tank syndrome) so try not to panic with the idea that you are doomed....this will pass and the roller coaster will move on :yup:
It's kinda like a kid going through childhood diseases that happen only once...it's not fun but it's not fatal. ;)

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60

If there's one thing I've learnt from being a member :crowd:of Reef Sanctuary, it's not to panic.
As long as you notice something early, there's usually time to sort it once the problem has been identified.:geekin:

I had 2 Algae Eating Hermits on that Tonga branch all day yesterday. Maybe that could be a warning in future?
That's why I thought they were hermit eggs at first, but the green tinge to the water didn't make sense.
I've done the 30% w/c and topped it back up. I'll check my water parameters in an hour or two.

Thanks everyone for your support once again!

271-12-14.gif
:thumber:

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Man I LOVE it when I'm right! LOL

Hi Mark.
It looks like you are right.
I've cleaned the glass of the green stuff so I can see the Tonga branch better and it is a hair algae with air/gas bubbles.
Can you help I.D. what algae it is and a course of action?

P4080008_zps01ec9495.jpg
[/URL]; [/IMG]

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've had resident dinos for about 4-5 months now......they just don't seem to want to leave!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I've had resident dinos for about 4-5 months now......they just don't seem to want to leave!

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my water parameters and try to counter it when it blooms?
Could be worse I suppose......

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Could be a LOT worse indeed.

Stay on top of it because even being slack just a couple of days will make a huge difference in how easily and quickly you can get it gone.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Could be a LOT worse indeed.

Stay on top of it because even being slack just a couple of days will make a huge difference in how easily and quickly you can get it gone.

Hi Al,
Do you think it could have been caused from overfeeding?

Paul B

If there's one thing I've learnt from being a member of Reef Sanctuary, it's not to panic.

Dam, I was just about to panic, then I thought, wait, that is in your tank,, Not mine.

That stuff is fairly common and the bubbles are oxygen made by that scurvy, sticky algae. Hermit crabs don't lay eggs on a rock, they keep them in their shell like other crabs.
Something laid this in my tank. I'm thinking "Chicken of the Sea"