advice about my live rock

petlover

I bought some cured live rock from my LFS, I smelled it and didn't smell anything. In fact when I asked about buying it the first time I was told to come back later in the week so that it would be fully cured. There are dark pink/purple pieces on some of them.We look on the hitchhiker's sticky and it looks like it's a type of encrusting coralline(sp?). Something that has the consistency of packing foam, really dense but porous like a sponge and a brown/green color,the closest to anything we saw online was a dinoflagellates picture and the description of "snot" color. we took the rock, pulled the stuff out with tweezers and boiled the rock for about a half hour just to be sure. We have another rock in the aquarium with this sponge-stuff on it, but that rock has some coraline on it and don't really want to kill that.What should we do?

(IMG)http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/20405/cat/500/ppuser/30706(IMG)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here syntax for pics

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopo...user/30706[/img ]

here syntax for pics

[img]http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopost/data/520/medium/0921101654a.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not sure I am following ... you bought cured LR (Live Rock) from LFS & then took it home & boiled it? That would make it dead rock ???
1446.gif

If it was cured seem you would just rinse it in ro water, pick any loose stuff off, put in in the tank & the other LR would handle any die off. How much LR do you have in the tank, how old is it & how much livestock does it have in it? Knowing all this we can help with some suggestions

All the best - we all all learning & asking question is a great way to draw on the experience of the RSM Club.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Not sure what that stuff is in the picture. You could try scrubbing it off with a toothbrush in a container of SW. Might be sponge but hard to tell for sure.

petlover

nanoreefing4fun, no i only boiled the rock in the picture because we had no idea what it was, now we have found it on a different rock. we don't want to boil that one because of corriline on it. sorry if post was confusing.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
ahh... ok...

the white on the rock imo - does not look like anything I would think would be harmful... but that just my best guess... from your description... sounds like a sponge

BigJay

the white on the rock looks like dead coraline algae. If I'm looking at the right part of the pic.

petlover

sorry so confusing. i finally found out how to circle things on photos.yay!

circledmystery.png

this is what we don't know id for.thanks

BigJay

ahh ok. I honestly can't make it out. May just be my laptop screen. See if you can take another pic with more light on that spot.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
totally missed that... really hard to see... is it hard? or is this what you described as "Something that has the consistency of packing foam, really dense but porous like a sponge"?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's what I was looking at, but still have no idea. Can you get a picture with the flash on? Or turn the rock to get more light on it? - maybe it will show up better. It may just be a type of sponge.