additives

largo

Just wondering what everyone uses and why they think it's the best? I have a 300g mixed reef and use Oceans Blend two part daily and so far it works for me but I'm wondering what other options are out there?
Near me EVERYONE seems to use Oceans BLend..I think a lot of that is just because it's produced nearby.
brightwell aquatics?
Oceans Blend?
reefplenish?

hoping to do some research while at MACNA soon

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
See you AT Macna :)

I don't use ANYTHING! Reason? Right now all my tests are coming back VERY good. If I don't test for it I don't dose for it.

Love to see pics of your 300g system :)

BigJay

other then calcium my tank doesn't show that it needs anything. I do use different calciums though sometimes using those that have trace elements depending on whats going on in my tank.
Every once in a while I feel myself almost buying a planktonic additive then I slap the back of my hand.

chrome91

i just add purple up daily and a master nutrient (80+ natural saltwater additives) twice a week, thats it

largo

If I don't at least dose part 2 my alk/ph gets out of whack I could possibly get by without dosing calcium but I'm trying to grow out some frags and don't want to let that drop and hinder them.

My tank a few months ago:
Comcast

50kb is so small all my newer pics won't load on here and I haven't got many others online

I do test for everything I dose

Witfull

as Al said,,,,no test no add....and,,if the bottle has a pretty picture on it,,,,you prolly dont need it, no matter how much the bottle says you do.

largo

thank you for the compliment

I would kind of like to redirect the topic though....I NEED to dose and was wanting input on products available that other reefers are using.
I'm not into pretty bottles or quick fixes. I just want to figure out what product has the best quality. As well as hoping to find one that I wouldn't have to dose daily as I am with the Oceans Blend.
I think the oceans blend is really watered down and I"m paying for a lot of ro water instead of the $$$ going to the actual additives I need to keep my water quality in check:spinner:

nikkipigtails

I dose with Bulk Reef Supply's Complete Two Part System. I haven't had to dose much, but you get a LOT for the price.

largo

I googled EVS and came up with nothing related. Do you have a link to their info?

I looked at the bulk reef supply site and thats is a LOT for the $$......... right now I'm paying 33.00 for 2 gallons (1gallon each calcium & alk).

nikkipigtails

This is what came with mine:
● One Gallon (7 pounds) of High Purity Anhydrous Calcium Chloride

● One Gallon( 7 pounds) of High Purity Zero Ammonia Magnesium Chloride

● One Gallon (7 pounds) of High purity Soda ash (Sodium Carbonate)

● One Gallon (8 pounds) of High Purity Magnesium Sulfate

● Three One gallon Jugs

● Two one once dispensers for the Jugs and one cap

● Two 100ml measuring cups

largo

I like the fact that you don't have to premix with water first..how long have you been using the ESV?
Is your tank predominately sps, lps??

Witfull

ive used it in the past....but now i dont need it. i dont have a high Ca++ demand.

softies and anemones and rescue fish.

cbrownfish

I drip Kalk with my topoff and super charge it a bit by adding vinegar. This maintains my pH (stabilizes it), dKH and Calcium.....I am predominantly LPS and softies, though I have some SPS that are beginning to demand more Ca.

Beyond that, I add Magnesium if I dip near or below 1200-1250.