Additional Auto Top Off for Max S Series

SPR

I go away many times throughout the year and the built in top off in my S 650 only lasts for around 4-6 days safely depending on heat conditions etc

Early next year I go away for 2 weeks and although I have someone with no aquarium knowledge to check things I am trying to make the system completely automated as far as possible to cover a 2 weeks period

I already have auto feeders and have just purchased a Kamoer dosing system as its a full reef tank

For the auto top off I have purchased what's basically 60 litre home brew bucket which I intend to sit next to the tank (covered to make it pretty!). The top off system I have purchased is one that I used before on my Max E260 and is the Mato 200P which has 2 sensors, one for the top off bucket and one for the tank side.

My original thoughts were to attach the tank sensor to the top left of the tank were you top off the main tanks system so effectively the new top off would be topping up the inbuilt top off (keep up!!).

I then thought just in case of a failure of the new system and possible overflow off the built in tank, it might be best to have the new top off system in the sump compartment set so the water level is slightly higher than the S 650's own system which would then become redundant until the new system runs out of water, the level would drop slightly and then the inbuilt top off would kick in.

Any thoughts and what if anything do you have as extra water?

SPR

Hi,

I use this http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-O.../LiterMeter®-III-Precision-Dosing-System-230V

Complete with this http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-ADD-ONS/LiterMeter®-III-Top-off-Control-Module-Gen6

I temporarily plumb it to the auto top up chamber at the top of the tank. I then use the litermeter pump to supplement the tanks auto top up chamber, and let the float valve do the rest.

Works a treat :)
So that I think is the same as my original thoughts were by it's just topping up the inbuilt chamber and using the inbuilt float valve.

The reason I thought about putting the sensor in the sump is that I was paranoid I might drop something into the RO tank chamber like the sensor and wouldn't be able to get it out. I suppose either way will work

DaveR11

My 650 loses on average 3.85 litres per day (over the 15 months I've had the tank - I have recorded the amount I top up each time). Since I've had the LEDs this has dropped slightly (3.80 L per day against 3.88L per day with the T5s) but the biggest influence is the weather / time of year. The tank definitely loses less water during the summer than the winter. I presume this is due to room temperature and humidity, with the house presumably having a lower humidity in the winter making evaporation easier.

So my ATO needs topping up on average every 7-8 days and going a maximum of 10 or 11 days so 2 weeks away and I would need supplementary ATO or get someone to fill up the Red Sea ATO.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

My 650 loses on average 3.85 litres per day (over the 15 months I've had the tank - I have recorded the amount I top up each time). Since I've had the LEDs this has dropped slightly (3.80 L per day against 3.88L per day with the T5s) but the biggest influence is the weather / time of year. The tank definitely loses less water during the summer than the winter. I presume this is due to room temperature and humidity, with the house presumably having a lower humidity in the winter making evaporation easier.

So my ATO needs topping up on average every 7-8 days and going a maximum of 10 or 11 days so 2 weeks away and I would need supplementary ATO or get someone to fill up the Red Sea ATO.
I have not had a tank yet in winter so will be interested how it changes but my use at the moment I think is similar to yours but it certainly won't last 2 weeks. I have a hot tub which also has strange evaporation changes with the outside climate so shall do some research on effects of temperature etc but I think from what I recall with the hot tub it is as you suggest due to humidity changes

Mdk16

I have the 650 and installed the following: I ran my rodi line through the attic and into the top off chamber in the back of the tank. I have a solenoid on a timer for 30 minutes per day which produces about 1 gallon of water per day. This solenoid and timer are placed before the rodi goes up into the Attic. On the other end (in the top off chamber) I have a double float valve (low and high from auto top off) connected to a second solenoid for redundancy if the first one on the timer fails. I also have a tunze osmolator in this chamber that tops off to the upper right corner of the tank with the sensors and alarm in the sump. I keep around 5 gallons in the chamber at all times. This system has worked beautifully and while nothing is completely foolproof this system has no more risk than a refrigerator that dispenses water and ice. I believe I have some photos on thread.