adding new sand to old

jdanko

I am not happy with my sand bed and I would like to add more. I just have a couple of questions that you all may be able to answer.

1. Should I use live sand,or dry. If I use live do I need to worry about die off and then a cycle.

2. Should I remove the old sand and just add new. Or should I syphon the top layer of old sand that looks a little dirty add new on top then do a 20% water change.

Luukosian

Few questions:

1. Why are you not happy with it
2. How deep and what type of sand is it
3. How long has this tank been running with this sand
4. How big of a tank
6. Other setup(sump, fuge, etc)

Adding sand is ussually not a problem as long as you add it slowly over time, but completely changing out sand could be a problem. Ussually you don't want to use live sand in an established tank, it will make a mess and possible cycle.

jdanko

55 gal reef thats been up for 8 months, It is about 1 and 1/2 deep fine sand. I am running a 30 gal sump/fuge with multi reactor,uv,and a psk150 skimmer. My sand has moved alot with the power heads and I would like a deeper bed look.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

DaveK

While the advice by the previous posters is correct, I recommend that the OP leave things alone. We are only talking about a 55 gal tank, and if you add enough sand to form a deep sand bed, you are going to displace a lot of water, and have a lot less vertical room in the tank.

If you want to fill in where the power heads moved the sand away, that's fine, but I would not try for a deep sand bed in that size tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Dave - we have had a few members of the RSM Club (34 gal & 65 gal tanks) ... that went with sugar gain size sand (SSB like 2 - 3 inches deep - not a deep sand bed 5">) some had sand stirring fish & other just had power heads (mp10s) that kept thier sugar size sand suspend a lot, was really thinking about them... replacing thier small sand size... which several did & were happy with the results...

I too would suggest not changing to a deep sand bed... by adding a lot of sand on top of what you have...

Robzilla

I will be implementing a new sum with fuge in a few weeks. Would adding sand to a new fuge kickstart a cycle?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Should I remove the old sand and just add new. Or should I syphon the top layer of old sand that looks a little dirty add new on top then do a 20% water change.

If the issue is a dirty SB adding more sand will not correct the problem, what do you have for a cleanup crew ? Adding a sandsifting Goby or a Fighting Conch or more Nassarius snails will help.

Should I use live sand,or dry. If I use live do I need to worry about die off and then a cycle.

Since this tank is established I don't see an issue of a cycle especially if it's a shallow SB. AFA using dead or live sand if you can afford it I would opt for at least some LS to add diversity to the infauna.

DaveK

Dave - we have had a few members of the RSM Club (34 gal & 65 gal tanks) ... that went with sugar gain size sand (SSB like 2 - 3 inches deep - not a deep sand bed 5">) some had sand stirring fish & other just had power heads (mp10s) that kept thier sugar size sand suspend a lot, was really thinking about them... replacing thier small sand size... which several did & were happy with the results...

I too would suggest not changing to a deep sand bed... by adding a lot of sand on top of what you have...

Yea, I know some people do use a comparatively deep sand bed in smaller tanks. In fact my 30 gal reef currently has a deep sand bed. Yes, I consider it a mistake, and I'm planning on redoing the setup in the not too distant future. In my opinion, in a smaller tank, your better off with a minimal sandbed, maybe 3/4" or so, unless you want to keep fish or other livestock that requires a deeper sandbed.