Adding more sand?

saltfan

Tank has been running for 6 mo. Can I add more LS to thicken the send bed a bit or will this cause prob.? like an ammonia spike.

slakker

You can do it carefully... A little at a time and monitor the levels.

To minimize cloudiness, what I'd do is put the sand is a small cup and very gently lower it to the bottom and very gently tip it out very slowly.

DaveK

More to the point, how deep is your current sandbed, and how deep do you want to make it?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+1 DaveK How deep is it currently, and whats the reason for wanting it deeper. DSB of 4+ inches have their benifits, but also their own can of worms.
I usually aim for 2", but thats assuming its flat. As it shifts you will get high/low spots. If its less than 1" you can add more. If its 2+ inches, i wouldnt if it were me.

saltfan

its about 2" and does shift so I get low spots. Im sure from my wave pumps ( JBJ 1600s ). So I figure if I add more sand it will also shift. Have tried re directing them but doesnt seem to help. Also have an orange spot goby that helps out...lol Guess I will just have to deal with it and continue filling in the low spots on WC.