acclimating royal urchin

new reefer 03

right now i have him in a container in my tank, adding and taking water every now and then, is there a better way?

cbrownfish

Re: achlimating royal urchin

Using an airline and valve (or knot) to drip slowly over an hour or so. Your method will work.....just change out small amounts.

new reefer 03

yea, i will try yours next time, mine worked okay hes in my tank, and stuck some old shells to him lol ( sign of health )

JT101

IMHO urchins are VERY hardy.

I have a long-spined black urchin earlier this year. When I bought it, it was about 2-1/2" across. I didn't do the slow drip method - just got the temp equalized, cut a hole in the bag, swished a little tank water in there and dumped the whole thing in after about a minute. After a few months it grew to the size of a softball (measured tip-to-tip, NOT the body itself) and couldn't move properly on my AP24. I wound up taking it back to the LFS for credit.

klm2500hd

I use airline tubing with drip valves also. It's plumbed into my return line so I just have to pull it out of the sump when needed. I just picked up a royal last Sat. He's got so much rubble attached to him it looks like a mobile piece of liverock.

faust

my neighbor is a emt. i use i iv set up they are perfect to acclimate with .they have 3 pinch valves ,2 drips and a built in filter