A School of one?

latuttle

I was planning on putting three fish in my 24 gallon reef: one royal gramma, one firefish, and one chromis. I have been reading that chromis like to school, however. Would a single chromis be stressed out by being alone, or do they adapt to this okay?

Thanks!

Laura

Snelly40

i think with those two other fish u mentioned that he would be ok. Typically hey will school for pretection but the gramma and firefish are both quite peaceful and i wold think he'll be ok

Witfull

in a tank that small,,,,a gramma will rule it. if you want him, i would suggest another small fish such as clown gobies.

Cougra

I agree with Dave, you should reconsider the Chromis.

While a lot of people say that the Chromis' are hardy fish because they are closely related to Damsels however they aren't. They are very sensitive to stress and water conditions, especially when first introduced to a tank. They aren't very aggressive fish and will most likely be bullied by the Gramma you want.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
gobies are very cool and by adding one you'll see fish swimming at different levels in the tank.

latuttle

Did some reading on gobies... seems that they either like to burrow in sand or under rockwork? Is that true for all of them? I don't have deep sand and my rockwork doesn't lend itself well to any spontaneous engineering. Wouldn't want a LR avalanche!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
seems that they either like to burrow in sand or under rockwork

There are some sand sifters that will feed off the substrate but I was refering to the shrimp gobies like the Yellow watchman, they from a symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp, if your concerned with rock avalanches then don't get the shrimp.

phil

i have a yellow watchman gobi in my nano and he has picked up one small piece of sand in 3 months, so no chance i think of them digging much.
i do have a pistol shrimp though and he does dig lots.
personally i think i would think about the gramma and keep the other two with a gobi, makes for a very peaceful tank. just my two cents.