A Reef in the Sky (Red Sea Max Edition)

echopiece

Hey Andrew, nice to hear from you! Your tank progress looks awesome! Very well planned out. I think that last pic is hilarious, you should be able to grow anything you want in the RSM now :D

redsea reefer

Anyone know how to embed Youtube videos? Can't seem to get it to work

On youtube, click the Embed tab and then click on the youtube tab here and insert the link there.

Its on top of the reply box when you click on the Post Reply tab, where the insert link, image and quote tabs are at the end next to G.

Last edited:

PIMPALA

Amazing! Tons of nice ideas, and equipment.

Any reason why you decided to paint the steel frame, instead of powder coating? scratched paint = rust. paint scratches very easily. Powder coating = VERY tough and scratch/chip resistant.

orieng

AMAZING/SUPERB/CRAZY are my feelings after going through the equipment n the planning. I am at a loss of words now.. cheerio

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Andrew - Congrats !!!
143.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aquarium-photography-forum/64135-november-10-potm-voting.html

alphasierra

Beautiful as always..:)
Thank you

Hey Andrew, nice to hear from you! Your tank progress looks awesome! Very well planned out. I think that last pic is hilarious, you should be able to grow anything you want in the RSM now :D
Thanks Marty... yes it was over kill for a few weeks!

On youtube, click the Embed tab and then click on the youtube tab here and insert the link there.

Its on top of the reply box when you click on the Post Reply tab, where the insert link, image and quote tabs are at the end next to G.
Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work. Will give it a go again. Cheers

Outstanding build!
Thanks... but there is more

WOW WOW WOW WOW!wish i had access to some of those sps!great work.
Cheers, yes we are very lucky here. The fish a also great here

Amazing! Tons of nice ideas, and equipment.

Any reason why you decided to paint the steel frame, instead of powder coating? scratched paint = rust. paint scratches very easily. Powder coating = VERY tough and scratch/chip resistant.
Thanks... Powder coating was not available here. If I move house, I will get a new stand made.

AMAZING/SUPERB/CRAZY are my feelings after going through the equipment n the planning. I am at a loss of words now.. cheerio
Cheers... it was a long process

Thanks Glenn

Congrats in winning POTM!
Thanks

Congratulations!
Thanks Terry

Congratulations...good looking tank!!!
Cheers Steve

Andrew - we are ready for the next installment
050.gif
Okay Glenn, will do

Very impressive!

Cheryl
Thanks Cheryl

This thread needs and update :D

Congrats on the contest win!

Thanks Eric... will do

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent work my friend!

I'm tickled to see you're using a ProfiLux II+. That's what I'm running right now and LOVE IT!

alphasierra

Finally an Update!!!

Apologies for the delay.

Anyhow, here is the video of the light lifter from my previous post.

[YOUTUBE]b9z3XWnf1eM[/YOUTUBE]

A week before the tank was delivered, I saw this frenzy!!! Anyone for a yellow tang?

Tangs.jpg

Preparation For Arrival

I moved my existing tank across the room so I suppose you know what that means. I hope to keep the RSM for only 2 months until everything is transfer across then I want to sell it.

The move went well and was rather straight forward with no major problems.

RSMMoving1.jpg

RSMMoving2.jpg

I had to go out and buy the two large containers the other day to assist with the move. Also plan on soaking the new substrate in one/both of those containers for 1-2weeks before introduction into the tank.

The First Pictures

The Cabinet
[Doors closed]
DSCF6703.jpg

[Front doors open]
DSCF6711.jpg

[Side table extended]
DSCF6705.jpg

[End view]
DSCF6706.jpg

DSCF6704.jpg

[Other end, sliding sump section]
DSCF6713.jpg

[End door]
DSCF6712.jpg

[Showing end door and sliding front door]
withmagnetite.jpg

The First Pictures

Stand & Sump

[Inside the stand]
DSCF6702.jpg

[Tray in]
DSCF6701.jpg

[Tray out]
DSCF6699.jpg

[Sump tray handle]
DSCF6698.jpg

[Left End- rear view]
DSCF6695.jpg

[Power Board - rear view]
DSCF6697.jpg

The First Pictures

Glass & Glass

[Display tank]
DSCF6678.jpg

[3/4" 19mm Low Iron glass]
DSCF6679.jpg

[Overflow with the small pump inside]
DSCF6677.jpg

[Sump]
DSCF6691.jpg

DSCF6690.jpg

DSCF6689.jpg

[ATO container]
DSCF6682.jpg

alphasierra

Answers to potential questions :)

Many have asked in the past about the program I used for my drawings. I used google sketchup (free download) to draw everything then used a program called Hypershot (now called Keyshot and costs $$$) to render the pictures
This is the link to the rendering program KeyShot - The key to amazing shots.

EG:
BOsetup1.jpg

The rollout sump concept is unusal to some. Basically I used x8 casters. It has been working a treat and is very useful for heavy maintenance.
Another picture to help understand the concept

Stand2copy.jpg

Final Touches - before delivery

Now, as the deliver date approaches I had a few things done. Another power outlet was installed, cleaned up and re-wired the wires going to the light box and replaced the old LED lights with some funky new ones

Controller-1.jpg

LED instructions. Great buy... approx $50USD
LEDInstructions2.jpg

16 colours and 4 display modes to choose from :surprised
LEDInstructions1.jpg

Great looking remote
LEDRemote.jpg

An evening shot
PurpleLED.jpg

LED lights in action.

Enjoy!!

[YOUTUBE]-yZU5EXSZQ4[/YOUTUBE]

Preparing the Substrate

I have started soaking the substrate (Aragonite) for at least a week prior to placing in the tank. Should help release any PO4 and therefore reduce it and the cloudiness when it is introduced into the tank. A slow process, but will hopefully be worth it in the long run.

8 Bags of this... not sure I will need all though :eek:h:
DSCN3869.jpg

Went and bought a plastic strainer to help to rinsing process
DSCN3860.jpg

A simple rinse
DSCN3863.jpg

Leaving it soak in in fresh RODI water, changing it every other day
DSCN3861.jpg

Display Tank Finished

I had the opportunity to go and view the tank today (on my birthday... great present huh??). First impressions... :inlove:
Snapped a few pics of it and inspected the other items for the first time. Very happy so far!

I am impressed with the back ground. Worked out well.
NewTank.jpg

The overflow is exactly how I wanted it. I plan on having a custom acrylic lid made to prevent light and nuisance algae growing down there.
OverFlow-1.jpg

A better picture of the background. Hopefully it will go with the blue cabinet
BlueBackground.jpg

Everything will be delivered tomorrow... except the ATO container.

Rockscape Design

The live rock also arrived today and I had first pickings :spin1: After a couple of hours this is what we managed to come up with. Similar to my plans.

Overview
AerialView.jpg

This was always going to be a challenge since the internal overflow affects the space available.
MainStructure2.jpg

MainStructure.jpg

Hoping to create a nice illusion of depth between the island and main structure. Also will allow fishes to swim around the island and underneath the large overhangs.
IslandLeftSide.jpg

Particularly happy with the island. The picture isn't that clear but more to come.
Island1.jpg

Hope you guys like!

Delivery!!!

Yesterday afternoon finally arrived after many months of planning, re-planning and waiting for all the parts of this project to come together.

Below are some pictures but of course... more to follow.

My Vision
TankViewBackground.jpg

My Reality :woohoo: :bouncer:
RoomView2.jpg

Room shot... note: Reefers Best Salt (RBS) waiting patiently.
RoomView1.jpg

I am impressed that cabinet is exactly how I planned. Must have done something right :spin2:
DSCN3960.jpg

Rimless Shot
RightCorner.jpg

A long Rimless shot
RimShot.jpg

More Arrival Pictures

The rear side of the sliding doors. The sliding hinges, made in Japan but purchased in the US work just as planned.
Hinges.jpg

I didn't plan on having these magnetic clips but the builder insisted as it made the end door more stable.
MagneticClips.jpg

Waiting for ATO container and dosing stand/containers. The "French Cleat" hooks work as planned.
ATODosingSection.jpg

This was very important to my design. No pipes showing above and hopefully the CJ's will work nicely and quietly.
OverflowEyeLevel.jpg

Thanks to the great work of Chris at 'nautilusreef.com' everything fitted nicely. The reflection shows the small pump with check valve fitting nicely too.
InsideOverflow.jpg

As planned... holes drilled and waiting testing
Piping1.jpg

Most of the rocks should hide this
Piping2-1.jpg

Waiting to be covered with power boards and wires
PowerBoard.jpg

Just as planned with a slight modification due to the height of the return pump. Undo unions and slide the sump out. Simple right?
Plumbing1.jpg

Now the real fun begins very soon!