A little help for a noob on a budget??

EllisJuan

I have Nikon D5000, a tripod, and the 18-55 kit lens. I can't really spring for a new macro lens right now. Anyone one to give me some tips for getting the most out of what I have now?

I have tried shooting in all types of mods but my results were less than stunning.

Will using my tripod solve most of my problems?

I mean, I have taken better pictures with my iPhone.

Thanks

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Use the tripod and and set a timer so you don't have camera shake. Make sure you turn off all pumps and powerheads as you want everything as still add possible. You'll probably have to adjust white balance in post to make things look right.

Kongor

I am by no means a expert photographer, but I believe since your camera is a dslr you can control shutter speed in manual mode. I have a canon rebel and thats how I do it.

Tripod is best and I set it to f8 and iso between 100-200. Slower shutter will let more light in and give greater detail but you can't shake or have the object move else you'll get a streak. Best for corals or stationary shots.

For fish I keep the same settings but increase shutter speed, you can look at some of my photos on my reef chronicles (you'll be able to tell when I start using a DSLR lol) if you'd like and ask about what settings I used, I think my photo importer stores the settings for me.

Again, this information is coming from someone that hasn't taken any photography classes and is just winging it lol

EllisJuan

Well here are a few shots I took in manual mode. I think I needed a little more exposure time maybe?

DSC_0403copy_zpscecb7eaf.jpg

DSC_0404copy_zps7cdeecc8.jpg

cfe885a8-9bda-4099-a3cb-2b2c91ad9f7e_zps952bf948.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The first one still shows some camera shake or if you were on a tripod, it was too long of a shutter speed so the movement of the coral is evident. Raise the ISO so you can increase the shutter speed.