90 gallons in 90 days.....??

jrf1175

Time for some serious updates....

The other day I received an e-maill from the LFS I am building my tank with that pick up two full systems to break down and sell. Luckily for me these were both 48" 120 gal tanks and there were some great deals and I just couldn't turn them down.

Here is what I walked away with:

Aqua-Medic Aquaspace light 48" 2 x 250 MH, 2 X24w PC
http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/products.php?category=Lighting&product=Aquaspacelight

Spectrapure RO/DI Unit
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_osmo_p1.htm

Custom Acrylic Sump/Refugium

I got this all total for just over $1300 CAD! Not bad since the light unit runs about that much new, and it is only 8 months old and in mint condition.

I have also worked out most of the details for the stand and that will be finalized this weekend. It will be a metal framed stand with a built in rack for hanging the light fixture. Once received I will work on covering the bottom sections to make it a bit less industrial looking.

With such a good deal on the goods I just picked up I think I have moved my timeline forward and should be on schedule to hopefully have water in it by the end of January - the major factor in determining this is the limit on my visa...good thing I hung onto that low interest card!!!

Cheers everyone.
Jayme

Last edited:

kyle1284

TDEVIL said:
a starfire tank would be awsome :)

what are your plans for the overflow, are you going to have the tank drilled and install bulkheads or are you going to have a coast-to-coast overflow?

Jay

what is a starfire tank?:rollingey

jrf1175

Here is a quote from the company that is built my tank:

Standard float glass has an iron content which imparts a slight green tinge. Starphire glass is crystal clear due to low iron content. It has the most natural colour rendition possible and the quality of light transmission is truly spectacular.

For more check out http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/

swissgaurd

here we not only produce good hockey players we produce good tanks,lol

glad to see everything is coming togethor

vic

jrf1175

Hey All,

It's been a while since my last post so I thought I would break down a bit of an update. Things are still moving forward but had a few delays we the tank and stand. The tank is on its way back to get new trim put on it, the original got delivered with some serious scratches on it. The new tank will be delivered with the metal frame/stand in a week or so.

I also picked up a WavySea on a boxing day sale. Also got some great reading material for christmas - The Reef Aquarium V3 and Aquarium Corals by Borneman.

Hope to really get moving in February once I finish gathering all the rest of the things I need and get back from a two week trip overseas for work.

Till then....

Happy New Year to you all.

Cheers.
Jayme

jrf1175

Back again with another short update.

Looks like my time is running out to get this thing up and running 90 days from my first post. I guess it is like 5 days and counting....the good thing is I am getting jsut about everything I need delivered this weekend. It has been an eventful 3 months and taken a while to figure out exactly what I wanted and then get it here.

Tank had to get returned to have the trim/bracing replaced as it was in pretty rough shape when it was delivered to my local LFS. After paying $750 for a tank I wasn't about to accept anything less than perfection. The wavy sea I picked up also had a crack in the housing so that went back as well.

This Saturday I should be getting a nice big truckload of goods to get me moving in the right direction...finally. Tank, metal frame/stand, RO/DI, light fixture, sump/ref, sand/salt all on its way. Hopefully I will have the materials to cover my stand delviered at the same time. So my first project after delivery will be to cover the stand....fun fun...I haven't had to do much handy work in a few years so it should be interesting to see how it turns out. I also have to set up the RO/DI unit and then have the system plumbed.

Regarding plumbing I think I will have my local LFS that has helped me with everything else come and do the plumbing as well. I just think it would be best to have a professional do it the first time so I can see how things are doe. I don't really feel like risking it my first time around.

Then just when you think you are over the cost hump....live rock! Who wold ever think you would spend upwards of $1000 or more on rock! Good times, good times!

Pics to be posted sometime this weekend after the delivery.

Cheers,
Jayme

boozeman

check out and join some of your local reef clubs. Clubs frequently do live rock 'group buys'..you can get a lower price that way