70W MH HQI supplemental lighting options

Dragonne

Hey all.

I'm looking for opinions and options for a supplemental 70MH HQI light. I've seen the jbj K2 Viper, which is a great solution if it were not made by jbj (lots and lots of complaints about them almost everywhere). I've seen a few DIY jobs out there too. I'm leaning towards a DIY that involves a Home Depot outdoor halogen wall mount light that has the right mounting ends and spacing for the HQI bulb already, and retrofitting a ballast. The main problem is, how do I match the ballast to the bulb? Wiring and all is no problem to me, I just need to know how I can get a ballast that will work properly with a 70W Ushio 14,000K HQI Double Ended Bulb.

All I want to do is have one area of my reef tank where I can place an SPS or two and have them do well, without breaking my budget ($150-ish). I'm mostly a softies and LPS person, but I would like that little Acro with bright color in there if I can find one that won't conflict with my softies. I would also have the option to put in a nice clam as well (I love croceas!).

Any help/thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

mps9506

70w Electronic MH Ballast - Universal - EC70UNVSE

I would recommend getting the HQI sockets with brackets when you purchase the ballast, the sockets in the halogen fixtures are not really designed well for MH DE bulbs, even though they looking nearly the same.
And if you are really worried about the par from these things, I have seen posting of PAR results from the Viper and Halogen housings with 150w HQI bulbs and they were not impressive at all...
I like this option a little better:
Ocean Light 70W HQI -Aqua Medic AB - 75015
Although I don't remember those reflectors getting great results either.

morbius18

What size tank do you have? Why are you only wanting a 70watt? 150 has more options and are about the same price. If you are a DIY person, I would buy an odyssea/Jebo off of ebay and retro from that.

ngocturnal

I'm also checking out JBJ Viper but 70w for my pico. Let me know if anyone has a used one, I would be interested in buying it. Thanks :)

jimbojangles

Has been struck by the ban stick
i have a 70w 14k JBJ viper k2 over my 20g Tall.

not as bright as i would have liked. i previously had 72w of CFL's 52w @6500k and 20w 50/50 10k/actinic.

it was a lot brighter before, part of it could be the change in light spectrum though.

i love the shimmer effect an overall coloration of the light... i wish it was just a TAD bit whiter though.

plan on finding a way to put some 50/50's over it too.

for a pico it'd be great. i wish i got the 150w.

PM me i might be interested in selling it to upgrade to the 150. it's practically brand new.