55 gallon aquarium stand.

cracker

Cinder blocks and plywood. ;)

jubbers, That would work just fine! However it might not go well with the general decor!:lol:
Imho ,1st thing to consider is what you plan to use for filtration & how much space needed to fit it all, room to work on it & perhaps,some extra in case you want to add something in the future. Then take look at how the stands for sale are constructed. They may look flimsy but are designed to carry the weight!

goldenmean

Jubbers
For my 55g I bought the AGA black pine stand from Petco. $100.
They had a hood for it to for around $75 - I think. I didnt buy the hood.
If you want to build your own - search the DIY threads hear on RS.

zooman

search for cioutlaw he has built a couple stands & i based mine from his pictures was very helpful when i ask ?s

Melanie

My husband is a contractor and generally it costs more for him to build something than to buy it pre-assembled. Weird, huh? Lumber and materials are so expensive.

Triggerjay

Jokes aside, here is the basic structure I use under all my tanks. This is a 75g stand.. I don't really have any better pics of it, but under the skins of all my stands lurks this design. Then you just sheet it, install doors for cupboards, etc, to make it pleasing to the eye:
coral020.jpg

Jason

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a very good "skeleton" for just about any tank. All you need to do in order to "Scale" this stand up or down is modify the dimension of lumber you choose. Bigger tank = larger lumber. I wouldn't really go any smaller but that's an excellent picture to give anyone a good idea of where to start.

Melanie, you and hubby need to get to know someone at your local building supply company. For projects like these you can use some of their "cull" lumber because you're cutting it anyway and it doesn't have to be perfectly straight for 16'.

Allen :)

Triggerjay

My 125g is also the same framework... also built with 2x4's. You cant really see it, but the corners are each 2 2x4's screwed together in an L pattern for side shear strength, as well as front to back shear. I use only screws in the main structure. Here are a couple pics of the 125G stand.. same framework, with the exception of an added front brace.. I was not going to go a 6 foot span without one. The one for the 75g only has a brace in the back center... but it is strong.. I could park my car on it.. lol

Same basic frame as the 75g... :
stand001.jpg

stand003.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

Hope this helps... and remember... USE SCREWS. This stand cost me about $100 to build.. the one for the 75G,... About $25.00... double it if I had of sheeted it. and remember.. Stands MUST be square and level, and strong enough to park a car on.. lol
The stand pictured weighs about 250LBS finished.. The 75g stand weighs about 50lbs or so..unsheeted

Jason

PEMfish

Usually a professional built steel stand powder coated and then you can add wood doors and stuff.

corrado007

Jokes aside, here is the basic structure I use under all my tanks. This is a 75g stand.. I don't really have any better pics of it, but under the skins of all my stands lurks this design. Then you just sheet it, install doors for cupboards, etc, to make it pleasing to the eye:
coral020.jpg

Jason

That was your design, well thanks then. I just built a stand for my 90 using that basic design based of that picture. I actually printed out the pic, penciled in my own dimensions and carried the picture around Home Depot picking out materials. I didn't remember where I found the pic, I was just searching all over for a design that I liked and agreed with and happened to choose yours. It turned out pretty well and seems solid. Thanks for the design.
Justin

Triggerjay

That was your design, well thanks then. I just built a stand for my 90 using that basic design based of that picture. I actually printed out the pic, penciled in my own dimensions and carried the picture around Home Depot picking out materials. I didn't remember where I found the pic, I was just searching all over for a design that I liked and agreed with and happened to choose yours. It turned out pretty well and seems solid. Thanks for the design.
Justin

No problem! lol..

Jason

jubbers

hey "the faster you go the harder you crash" -Istorc. This is a good quote for reefkeeping. I finished the stand a while ago. But im am still in deep thought of what kind of fish what kind of corals, and what kind of lighting they would need. It is a lot but i am pretty close to figuring it out. i just need to budget it.