44 gallon lighting needs

ds69

I have a 44 gallon corner tank stacked with live rock to the top its filled with soft corals and several lps but primarily softies. I also have a t. crocea clam which is in the top portion of the tank. The tank is currently running a 125 watt pendant mh light. the light was brand new and came with the pendant and ballast but it doesnt say what kelvin rating it is. It has to be low though because its very yellow, it is a german bulb thats all it says. I also have 40 watts of pcs that are 50/50 bulbs so it makes it not so yellow. Now I would like to upgrade to a 250 watt matal halide system. I know that 10k is what they recommend for the clam but would 14k be a problem ? and do you think this lighting system below would be good. I know the price is cheap but will it be good for the tank ?

Thanks
Kevin
http://cgi.ebay.com/250-Watt-Metal-...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
hmm, inside sun co is a hydroponics company, their site lists the same unit at same price a weebay only its a hps bulb.Steve

2455coop

A good rule of thumb is to run between 6 and 9 watts per gallon. I have a 70 gal tank and I'm running 2 175w mh @12000K and 2 vho's super actinic. The total wattage of the lights are 8.14 per gallon. I like the looks of 12000K over 10's or 14's. It has a ting of blue and makes the water sparkle. 250w mh is a good choise because of the shape of your tank

ds69

so do you think that 250 watt system looks ok? im a little hesitant because its hard to see in the picture.

Kevin

lcstorc

Lighting is one of the largest investments we make in our reef setups. I wouldn't take the risk. Go with a name brand with a good reputation. Generally if it sounds too good to be true then it is.

ds69

Ok so i decided to not get the ebay light fixture but im not sure what i should buy. I would like to stick to a pendant if it works ok for my tank. The tank isnt terrible wide its just pretty tall ... i would guess like 30 inches tall. Should I get a 250 watt mh or a 400 watt? What are some good brands as well ? Im looking to buy the everything like a system, has the ballast, pendant etc and not separate pieces. Is hamilton a good company? or has anyone used their light fixtures and bulbs? I really want my zoas to color up better and grow faster.

Thanks
Kevin

lcstorc

I know I have heard good reviews on the Hamilton fixtures from other people though I do not have them.

Pro_builder

If you are running a 30" deep tank I would go with a 400 watt MH setup. Especially if you are wanting to run a lower par rating bulb like the 12, 14 or 15K. They don't have the penetration values of the 10K or 65K bulbs. It takes more power to get that light to penetrate to the bottom of your tank.
The Pendant style MH setups are fine if that is what you want to run, that is a preference thing on your part.

ds69

ok so im finally home and measured the tank. It is 24 inches high. So i am guessing the 250 watt would be alright. Will that be enough for the t. Crocea and possibly a couple of sps though?

Thanks
Kevin

lcstorc

As long as they are placed in the top half of the tank I think you will be fine. A lot depends on the par of the bulbs you are running.

ds69

well i will probably order the 250 watt pendant from hamilton and get a 10k bulb with it. I will probably try that for a bit and then try another bulb in either 10k or 14k depending on how I like the look of it. what would be a good bulb with higher par?

Thanks
Kevin

Pro_builder

Were are you getting this light setup? Have you looked at hello lights They have pendants that you can any bulb in. If it was me I would run the XM bulb not the Hamilton, but that is just my opinion.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
lcstorc said:
I know I have heard good reviews on the Hamilton fixtures from other people though I do not have them.

I've got the Hamilton 72" retrofit with 3 250W 10,000k and 2 96W 7200k blue power compacts. All on electronic ballasts. In all... I'm happy with Hamilton. :thumbup:

I did have a MH ballast go bad on me, but they were quick to send me a free replacement. I think next time around I will try the Actinic instead of the 7200K.

ds69

Even though this a really old thread I would like to continue it with some similar questions. Ok, so I have the 250 watt mh hamilton pendant heres the link for it. Pendant - Aquarium supplies & Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

I have been using 10k but now im finally deciding to go to 14k. Some of my zoanthids just aren't as colorful as they should be. It would be better to use 14k instead of 20k correct? I know growth wise 14k is better, but will 14k make a big difference over the 10k? Another thing is that I heard the 14k hamilton bulbs are more white and not even that blue. I would like to get a good blue colored bulb but I am not sure on which brand to go with or if it is fine to use with my ballast? Any help would be appreciated. I just don't want to buy a bulb and have it not work with the ballast or be any different.

Thanks
Kevin

kathywithbirds

Hi Kevin.

I got 10K to replace my two 150W bulbs... yeah too yellow for me too. I liked the 14K I had before, they were a nice balance. I'm going to try the 20K next, I really do like the look of the 14K supplemented with the actinic blue.

AFA brand, dunno. Let's let the lighting nuts find this thread. :D