40 gallon starter SW.. Please help.

bus927

Hey guys this is my first post and I really want to get the knowledge I need to make a successful saltwater aquarium.
Basically my sister in law is giving me her 40 gallon tank, and I'm thinking it doesn't come with anything but the glass tank. I'd like to know what I need to buy in order to get started. I'm thinking some colorful fish, live rock and sand, I'm not too sure about coral yet. Also I'd like to know if I'd need to buy a sump yet or if a hang on the back was appropriate for a 40 gallon. Eventually I'd like to have a lion fish and some triggers but of course with a bigger tank.
Just looking for some insight..
Thanks,
Tom

blackwater

well first get all your equipment. RO/DI unit, refractometer, salt, lights, heater, power heads, live sand, live rock, possibly a skimmer. if using a sump then get it ready. also need water testing kit. after u have what u need put LR in tank (on the glass or egg crate) then add the sand. have your water pre mixed and ready to go before hand. then u can add it to the tank. add heater. keep filters off untill water clears up from sand. no need to turn lights on unless inspecting. add a deli shrimp to get the cycle going then just wait and test your water regularly. u will see the numbers changing. ammonia will spike then lower and nitrite will spike then lower and nitrate will spike. nitrate will not lower by its self you will need to do some water changes to get it down. others can jump in here about the cycle. ones all numbers are stable and where they should be u can then start adding a CUC. after that its fish time. on my 29 gallon i left it to cycle for 4-6 weeks(was ready before this but i was being cautious) then added my CUC and waited another 3-4 weeks before adding any fish. slow is your friend. :thumbup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi bus :wave: glad to have you as a new member here :)
This is a good place to get help & encouragement so keep posting :biker

DaveK

I've posted this before, but it's applicable here. I have a few additional comments.

The most important think to consider is what do you want to keep in the system, since this will effect the equipment selection. For example, that lion fish can get you if your not careful. Definitely not a fish if you have kids around. That trigger you want will likely prevent you from keeping most corals, and some species are so aggressive that you can't keep other fish with them.

At this point don't worry too much about specific equipment. Figure out what you want to do the the system. As you can see a choice in one area can change the whole game.

Also, before you spend any money on equipment, run your selections by the gang here. They will let you know if your getting the correct equipment.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

bus927

Thanks guys for making me feel welcome.. I'm just getting some insight like I said before, I just didnt wanna jump into it without knowing a few things. I do plan on reading a book or two.. But also it helps a little more talking to people who've done it and who does it currently.
Thanks again
Tom

gbose

Tom,

Welcome to RS! I'm a relatively new SW keeper (about 18 months). I'd say:

First, I trust you have FW experience, or don't even think about SW.
Basic beginner's kit: One protein skimmer (choose a good one), a circulation pump/power-head, refractometer, marine test kit, live rock -- ideally 40lbs, but you can make do with 20lbs and 20lbs of 'dead' rock, if you're prepared to go slow... And do go slow.
I'm not sure you need a RO/DI unit at first. It's a 'nice to have', depending on how much you pay for prepared salt water. I don't have one for my RSM34 G; I pay $1 per gallon for salt water and I change 5G per week.
After your tank cycles (you do know about cycling a tank, right?), add a clean-up crew. Some snails, a shrimp or two. And then one fish. Another maybe 2-3 weeks later....
If you do decide to go with coral, you'll need to think about lighting. If you do this (and I find corals more interesting than fish), you may need good lights. I'd say look at LEDs. They give great light and no replacement costs for years....

And research on the web always, before getting fish or corals or even snails, etc. A good LFS is an important ingredient.

Good luck and enjoy!

GBose

bus927

Yes I do have FW experience, and I helped my uncle with his 250 gallon FW set up. It just seems to me that there is a lot of different things to learn and know comparing FW and SW.. And that's the knowledge I'm trying to gain here..I want to have a successful set up and not waste a ton of money on a fail. But I guess trial and error? Thanks for all the insight. I do wish to keep hearing more from everyone on here and once I get underway ill do the pic by pic play of what I'm doing and how it's running.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've been out of the SW hobby for many years and things have really improved. I especially L:heart:VE the help & support of this forum. I always had better LUCK with SW than I did with FW. Don't be afraid to try SW....it's an AWESOME hobby! It's a bit over whelming to try to "get it" at 1st but You will. You can get the help you need here as you go. Start a thread for your tank, ask questions as you go. Not getting in a hurry is really good advice. :)

bus927

Hey guys I may be able to get my hands on a 100 gallon tank.. Would it be better to start with a 40 or a 100 ? Maybe 100 for the stability factor of the water?
Thanks
Tom

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you have a good place to put up a BIGGER tank it might make you happier later on. Be ready for more WORK in the way of weekly water changes and more $$$COST in equipment. This is an EXPENSIVE hobby. Does anything come with the 100gal. tank?
If you do it right, you can keep a 40 gallon just as stable. I'd say not to be doing it for the water stability reason. That's my opinion, wait for others ;)

DaveK

First, I trust you have FW experience, or don't even think about SW.
Basic beginner's kit:...

I can not agree with you about needing FW experience to keep a reef. Plenty of people have gone directly into SW with no previous experience. I would also point out that while the goals are similar, the methods used in FW are usuaily very different from SW, especially SW reef systems. To give one example algae control. In FW if you have algae, it's possible to cut way back on light to control it. In a reef system, with corals, you can not do too much of this because the corals require a lot of light. You'll see a lot of other examples in filtration and water flow also.

I saw this going the other way also, when I got involved in high tech FW planted tanks. In SW nitrates and phosphates are a big issue and you want them as low as possible. In FW planted tanks you need to add nitrates and phosphates to get maximum plant growth. It's really a change of thought to start doing that after I have been trying to get rid of them for years.