3 tanks into 1 will it work?

jeffreyKTM

this weekend I want to set up my new 92 gal corner like a diamond in the center of my living room.....Can I take all of the water, rock, substrate, and inhabitants out of 3 29 gal biocubes and put them in all at once? There is enough of everything to almost completely fill the whole system.....I figure I would have to add about the same amount of new water as if I did a water change.

SubRosa

Assuming that all of the smaller tanks are well established it should be fine, but once it's set up give it a couple of weeks before you add any new livestock. You're not going to put your Mantis in general population are you?

John

jeffreyKTM

the mantis will stay in one of the biocubes with a couple pieces of rock and a niger trigger i will leave about half of the original substrate and water in that tank the other two are going all in....my sisters tank and my other tank have a total of 75lbs of very nice rock and i will be taking about 15 lbs of rock out of the mantis tank.....I saved water from my last couple of water changes also so if I need more cycled water I have it....the mantis tank is over 1 year old and my other tank and my sisters are both over 2 years and very healthy but over grown......I am bad for pics but I will do my best.....I dont know how to put them on the site....

jski711

First off depending on how long the water has been sitting in buckets without any circulation I'd be hesitant on using it again. Second how big is the trigger, it should probably be in a bigger tank. Other than that u should be good.

Jake

jeffreyKTM

the water is less than 1 month old and in sealed jugs and the trigger is only 2inches....still a baby:updown:

jnohs

taht water is dead and no longer cycled. with out oxygen it will all die except anything anoxic witch you dont want to add anyway. but the water from the 2 cubes and the live rock from them also is very good. i put my 2 bio cubes in to my current 55gallon. i did use some of the old sand but no all of it.

I siphoned out the sand with a hose just like it was water. the first 1 inch was extreamly dirty. but after that i could not belive how clean the sand was it was pure whie. any way some peoplle say that reusing sand is a no-no. i agree somewhat but if it is clean it is good to go.

also if i were you i would put the livestock all in the one biocube. then put the rocks, sand and water in the new tank. wait a coulpe of dsays then add the live stock from the obvalousy now over crowded 29cube.

jeffreyKTM

it was a success......so far so good.....everyone is doing extremely well....i will try to get some pics tomorrow...

SubRosa

taht water is dead and no longer cycled. with out oxygen it will all die except anything anoxic witch you dont want to add anyway. but the water from the 2 cubes and the live rock from them also is very good. i put my 2 bio cubes in to my current 55gallon. i did use some of the old sand but no all of it.

I siphoned out the sand with a hose just like it was water. the first 1 inch was extreamly dirty. but after that i could not belive how clean the sand was it was pure whie. any way some peoplle say that reusing sand is a no-no. i agree somewhat but if it is clean it is good to go.

also if i were you i would put the livestock all in the one biocube. then put the rocks, sand and water in the new tank. wait a coulpe of dsays then add the live stock from the obvalousy now over crowded 29cube.
Water doesn't cycle.

John