2 pair of clowns

cioutlaw

Ok my 225 is starting to take shape & I have been thinking of what I want to stock. How big a tank do you need to keep 2 pair of clowns happy? I have a pair of very friendly Ocellaris or Percula clowns that are about 2"male & 3" female & would like to add a pair of Onyx or Picasso clowns. Am I asking for trouble? Tank will be a 72x30x25 225gal. pennisula style. I have seen Percs & skunks in a 120G & I know Woodstock has 2 pair but they are not mature yet.

George & Weezy
DSC01896.JPG

Snelly40

im not entirely sure, i have heard in the wild they like up to 80 feet, however my uncle has a 120 and has two pairs andwoody does too and with little tension.
I could see trying it and as they grow if its no good, sell the pair that u like less
i also think it depends on the type of clowns. I have cinnamon clown(s) and i know they would not be happy at all

mps9506

I think you meant start another tank...Not a bad idea, they are pretty easy to catch:invisible

:lol:

I honestly think this is one of those things that works out differently for everyone. I've seen perc pairs in 180 gallon tanks that probably wouldn't dare let another clownfish or pair in the same tank, and I've seen smaller tanks with two or three mature pairs with only minor squabbling.
All I can say is the bigger the tank the better the chance :D
Percs, Occelaris and skunks tend to be a little more mellow so your best bet would be with those (and yes, I know percs can be quite mean, but compared to a maroon...)

cioutlaw

:lol:

I honestly think this is one of those things that works out differently for everyone. I've seen perc pairs in 180 gallon tanks that probably wouldn't dare let another clownfish or pair in the same tank, and I've seen smaller tanks with two or three mature pairs with only minor squabbling.
All I can say is the bigger the tank the better the chance :D
Percs, Occelaris and skunks tend to be a little more mellow so your best bet would be with those (and yes, I know percs can be quite mean, but compared to a maroon...)

I think I will try it, i have been thinking about a nano for my office anyhow just in case it doesnt work out. I will say this, my current pair have NEVER shown any aggression towards other fish, a lil frisky with each other at times. I would think it would help having an penisula tank & possibly not being able to see one another. The pair I have now stay on 1 side & rarely venture to the other side.

aquaman3680

I just added a pair of pink skunk clowns to my tank. My existing pair of percs are giving them the stare down but not fighting.

Matt