2 much lighting for 20 gallon

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Strange lighting combination. I have ssen a few 250 watt HI pendants wityh 32 watt PC actinics, but not with moon lights also. i do not know other than a cprner tank where one wpould use a 24 inck fixture with a 250 watt halide. The largest 24" tanks is a rectangular 25 gallon tank and that would still be a large wattage of HQI for any corals or clams. Yet a lone the light out put of the PC's, But I would probably bid up to at least $100 dollars on it anyway, whether I needed it or not. It loks like a good light and even the PC's, fixture and reflector alone are worth over $100.

michael_cb_125

With that amount of light you could keep just about anything you want to. The main problem with a 250 watt MH over a 20 gallon tank is heat. You WILL NEED a good chiller. Also if you go with a 250 watter you will have to be VERY careful when acclimating corals to it. If not you will have a tank full of roasted corals.
~Michael

fatman

A 250 watt HQI halide would actually provide too much light for most corals in a good majority of a 20 gallon tank without even turning on the PC's. I do not think there would be a lot of corals that could adapt to that much light even with a lot of circulation. The general recommendation of HEI lighting for SPS corals is around 1000 w/m^2. The area of a 20 gallon tanks surface is 18.39 percent of a meter square, therefore the general recommendation is for 183.9 watts of HEI lighting. Photo inhibition could very likely be a problem with that much light. The lighting provided would likely only be acceptable in the top half of the tank to Acropora species. Even the lower levels would be quite well lit. I would consider for all but dedicated SPS tanks with heavy water flow that a 250 watt HQI not be used on a 20 gallon tank. A 150 watt with the PC actinic would be much easier to deal with as the PC are much less efficient than the Halides due to their shape not allowing for good reflection, so their output could be close enough to bring the total up to 183.9 watts of HEI lighting.

tippMANn98

None the less, its a very very nice light(can't tell manufacturer. and it doesnt list it either), did you see the tank it was on? I like the shape of it....

fatman

It looks to be around 60 gallons. That would make more sense with the wattage as that tank would need around 371 watts of HEI lighting for a dedicated SPS tankan d less for a mixed so 25O hallde plus the 64 PC would be good for a mixed reef of that size as it was also a pretty shallow tank. Square tanks are good for flow in a tank system but they are g-=hard ti auascape and even harfer to keep free of sediments ad detritus. The best circulation for them (for stoney corals)i s in a circle and that has a tendancy to dump sediments/detritus in the corners and the center of the tank amongst the rocks and corals. Like I said I would bid at least $100 just as it is agood deal, at a low cost even if not needed. Let me know if you decide not to bid on it, as I will if you do not, however, I have no need for it so I will not bid against you if you decide to bid on it.

fatman

The T-5 HO lighting does not have individual reflectors so with the wattage that low they would be inadequate for nearly all corals. T-5's without individual reflectors deliver to the tank a whole lot more light than a Power Compact of equal wattage with a standard reflector. THe T-5 fixture would cost about $75 new, plus shipping. The Coralife will put out more light, probably about double that of the T-5 dual 24 watt, but it wil use about three times the wattage to put out twice the delivered light. It would cost at least $150 new, plus shipping.

It is doubtfulthat you will see a Nova Extreme Pro on Ebay, but if so that is what you would want, if buying a T-5 fixture.

fatman

It is likely Chinese, not Japanese. As is most of what is sold in this country now. Technology wise I think the Japanese are up there with the Germans, which generally means above the U.S.A.. We do not have many Japanese products being sold in this country anymore because we will not pay what they can get from other countries citizens who are willing to pay well for good products.

Just go to any Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Kmart, Fred Meyers, Sears, or go on ebay, where ever you wish you will find Chinese made products. Give the country a little longer and they will be providing all our McDonalds hamburger patties and french fries.

cuttie100

I would only put that lighting on high light demanding corals like stony corals and clams...Wont do any good with softies. I have a 175watt in my 20 gallon high tank now and some of my mushrooms are showing signs of bleaching.

bob, i have had the 96x2 watt version on my 40 breeder for over two years with no failure, im pretty inprressed with price vs quality. no fire hazard that is for sure my clams loved it

fatman

The average amount of lighting energy striking the earths surface is 1000 watts per square meter. The surface area of a 20 gallon standard tank are ((23.75" x 12")/144 sq inches = 1.9792 sq ft, There are 3.28 ft to a meter, so a meter square is (3.28 x 3.28)= 10.784 sq ft , therefore the surface area in sq yards is: (1.792 / 10.784) = 0.184 sq yards.

Meaning if your lighting is hundred percent efficient at providing light then you would need (1000 x 0.1084) = 183.968 watts

This would mean for light providing sunlight with wave lengths in the same proportion as natural sunlight. Our lighting is not 100 percent efficient, but as we do not need the same light as delivered by the sun we can assume as we are getting more of the wave lengths we want per watt than what the natural sunlight supplies naturally that the 1000 watts per square meter is a good base point for calculations.

However the fact that different types of lights put out lighting of different wave lengths at the same listed K value and different brands differ. Plus reflectors vary in their efficiency at delivering the light and even the ballasts used cause differences and on and on.

We are at the mercy of those who have meters such as apogee meters, that actually test intensity of lighting in the usable spectrum, and the testing of people like Sanjay Joshi that take it further and actually tell us the intensity at particular wave lengths in relation to normal sunlight to assure us that a certain wattage of a certain brand and type of lighting etc. etc. will actually supply are needs.

In general 1000 watts per square meter of halide or T-5 lighting with individual reflectors works good for SPS corals and Mixed reef tanks with delicate corals placed in less well lit areas and nearest the bottom. Clams on the sand in the open will do fine with 1000 watts per square meter.

lcstorc

It is a L
Laugh my ___ off.
Sounds like you were to in depth for him to understand. Happens a lot to me.