130 GALLON FRESH WATER TO SALT

jtcplumb

I need some help choosing equipment for converting my tank to saltwater.I think I will drill holes instead of using over top overflow. Please help me out in picking the best brand and size of protein skimmer, sump, overflow box return pump etc. Thanks so much. An if thereissome kind of typical diagram on piping schematic Thanks John

sirrealism

Congratz on doing the swap. Skimmers, sumps and return pumps are all a matter of choice and to say one is better then others is really hard to say. So I will just give my opinion as to what I have used and like. First skimmers Get something rated at least 2 times your display. Your tank is 130 so look for something rated at 260 or more. Unless your getting a special skimmer that is more honest about there numbers. I use Itech skimmers which have not been made in several years but there numbers are honest if not under rated. I also like reef octopus but once again they are over rated. I know it all gets a bit confusing. Sumps. There are people who spend crazy money on sumps which I just dont under stand. I use what ever will fit and is big enough to do the job. I dont mind adding baffles where I need them and the best sumps i have ever owned were old tanks made into sumps. Return pumps. I have found the best luck with old Mag drives. But I do like the new DC pumps and you cant go wrong with a external reeflo. This all comes down to what you have for a sump. Internal pump or external.

Snelly40

congrats!
i like your idea of drilling the tank, much safer and reliable that an over the top overflow.
I did purchase a sump and i went with an aqueon proflex, i love the setup and the space. I personall have used a few skimmers, at the moment i have an AquaMaxx EM200, it's the best one i've had, my second favorite was an ASM G3.
Return pumps- i have always used a Quiet One pump as they are super quite and reliable but thats the only one ive used to i'm quite biased on this front haha.
I dont have a diagram saved, but it's easier than you think...

good luck and let us know if you have any questions!!

jtcplumb

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend drilling back or bottom of tank. Where is good place to buy live rock ?? And how about piping schematic ?

Snelly40

some people on here drill tanks more than i do, my tank is drilled in the bottom and it is tempered glass, depending on your tank construction will determine how it can be drilled....
live rock can be helpful however dry rock will become live rock during a cycle and thus may save you a lot of money. I can try and find an old piping schematic on here, basically your last sump chamber will hold the return pump which will then connect to pvc back into your display tank, my overflow just is a pvc vaccum hose into the first chamber in my sump

jtcplumb

Thanks. I have seen dry rock I think pukani rock from bulk reef supply. Looking for best rock to put corals on maybe more smooth like shelf . What size sump should go with 130 gallon tank. What size pump ?? What to put in sump ? miracle mud ? Live rock, filter socks, refugium etc etc what size protein skimmer I think you said at least twice as big as tank..

sirrealism

As far as a sump goes I would put the largest you can fit. As far as what to put in the sump some like to run a fug others like mud or deep sand Ect. I for one dont use anything in my sumps accept for equipment and maybe some chaeto. Skimmer yes 2 times what ever the skimmer says. so look for one rated close to 250G. Pump size is a debate that has been going on for a long time but I like to get one rated at 5-10 times the size of my tank so with head loss I would look for one that pumps about 1300gph But thats JMO and others might say different. Make sure you get some flow pumps for in your tank also