10K vs. 12K T5HO

StirCrayzy

Hey, im looking to get a few opinions, neither right nor wrong, just Pros and cons.
I ordered a new NOVA SLR fixture and instead of the advertised 10K and 460Nm bulbs, i opened the package to find an exterior manufacturer label stating new package includes 12K instead of the 10K.
So with nothing to lose, i plugged it in and it does look good, i cant complain. Im definitely happy with the penetration and light quality, but i dont know if Im missing out. My old setup was already leaning towards the blue spectrum with PC Bulbs 65w 50/50 and a 65w dual Actinic, so maybe a 10K wouldve shown me more white than blue, but i cant tell by judging from old to new.

I think i would be justified to have a 10K bulb sent to me anyway, so please assume that i will actually have the option of either bulb at the drop of a dime, i still wonder about the benefits of one color temp over the other.

Reddog170

I like the spectrum of the 12k better myself, the 10k looks more yellowish to me. I say you got a good deal there. Shaun

Gfoot2000

You'll get more blue in a 12k then a 10k, you'll get better growth at a lower K and a better color at a higher K. Algae grow better at 6500K and corals can still grow at 20K, so in your case slower coral growth but better color, and less algae, but switching from pc, you'll notice a huge change in growth and color within that week or 2

steved13

PREMIUM
10K deffinitely looks more yellow, it seems to wash out the display more, I thought a slightly milky look.

StirCrayzy

I am enjoying the Look of this new 12K setup.
I will try to post pics this weekend.
So far, the only drawback from switching to a cheap T5 is not having the individual control of Daylight/Actinic that i used to have with my PCs