Search results

1. jthomps123

Icecap, Eheim, UV, Books + more for sale!

Icecap 250W Halide Ballast / New - $110 shipped/paypaled Icecap 250W Halide Ballast / Used (about 2 years) - $85 shipped/paypaled Icecap 660 Ballast w/ 4 Icecap Endcaps/Standoffs, wiring harness / Used - $100 shipped/paypaled Eheim 1262 Pump - Used (about 6 mos) / Took a little spill and...
  2. jthomps123

Looking for overflow suggestions

I have a 30 gal acrylic im about to reef-out. I'd like to solicit some overflow suggestions. I plan on installing two bulkheads on either side of the tank. Would anyone have any objections to a single standpipe drain L into the bulkhead rather than a full blown overflow? Would I really miss the...
  3. jthomps123

Cleaning 55 gallon drums?

I've just acquired 2 - 55gal drums from a car wash. Car wash/wax used to be in them. There are even 'corrosive' labels on them. My questions is how/if i even can clean these for use as an ro/di resevior If not for an ro/di resevoir, how about a resevior to feed the ro filter? Thanks for any...
  4. jthomps123

Cant get calcium up.

My calcium has been stuck at around 340 for quite a while now. I just started adding supplements in the last few months to try and get it up. For the past few weeks i've been adding Seachem Reef Builder every couple of days and using Buffer 8.3 periodically to keep my alk around 8. But I still...
  5. jthomps123

Reef Octopus EXT 150 - any experience?

Im looking to upgrade my skimmer for a 75 gal. I need a HOB or external skimmer as my sump will not accomodate most in sump skimmers. The skimmer must also be no taller than 25" or so. Im looking at a Reef Octopus EXT 150 Recirc model: Reef Octopus EXT 150Recirculating Needle Wheel Protein...
  6. jthomps123

are zoanthids poisonous to fish?

Can tasting a zoanthid poison a fish? Particularly a tang? I know they are poisonous to humans right? Jason
  7. jthomps123

Ich/Velvet/Disease Question

Hi Guys, My tang has come down with something, he's breathing really heavy and hanging out by the return / surface. Im thinking some sort of parasite, there were a few spots on him (that a fw dip seemed to knock off, but his rapid breathing has moved to the other gill)- but not sure if it was...
  8. jthomps123

WTB- Corals/Live rock in East NC

Hello all, I currently reside in Greenville, NC. We currently have no lfs besides a single big-box pet store. We have a couple set to open sometime but nothing for a bit. I was wondering if anyone has any live rock, or hardy to semi hardy frags they'd like to sell. I have a 6 month+old 75...
  9. jthomps123

Acrylic Tanks - Polishing

I've recently acquired a 30 gal acrylic tank. Its apparently been 'cleaned' with a non-acrylic friendly device and has a nice haze of small scratches all along the front panels. It looks as if someone has taken a handful of sand and given it a nice rub down. Is this salvageable? I'd like to know...
  10. jthomps123

WTB Single/Double 48" T5 Fixture or Retro Kit

Looking for a single or double retro kit - around 48", w/ ballast and caps. Included actinic bulb(s) a plus. Thanks Jason
  11. jthomps123

JT & Shawnas 75

Hello everyone. It was suggested that I start a chronicle here; so here it goes. I've really enjoyed reading / viewing all the others so I thought i'd contribute. Here is our 75, we purchased this used - set up for about 6 mos and not doing much - previous owner was wanting to upgrade and...
  12. jthomps123

Mixed lighting

I just bought a used 75 gallon with two coralife hqi lights. In them they have brand new Giesemann 150w Mega Chrome Coral bulbs (14.5k I believe). In the last tank I was a part of we used regular flourescents with white and actinics. I grew to really like the dusk and dawn cycle with only the...
  13. jthomps123

New member here!

Hello all, I've just got back into this hobby and found this to be an inviting community. So I thought i'd join and hopefully share in its great advice and experience. I've just purchased a used 75 gal with 15 sump/refuge, about 70lbs LR, a couple small corals, crabs, snails. Lighted by two...