Search results

1. dbetts

Powerhead advice

Just to give an update: I coughed up the cash and bought the Eco Tech MP10QD. So far, I’m loving it. Great circulation in the tank and I love the different modes you can put it on. Thanks for the advice guys! Happy reefing! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. dbetts

Powerhead advice

Hello all! I am in desperate need of buying new powerheads and was hoping to get your take on it. My tank is a 55 gallon mixed reef (mostly soft and LPS). I was looking at the Aqamai KPS Wavemaker Pump as a potential as well as the Current USA eFlux Wave Pump kit. Does anyone have experience...
  3. dbetts

Reef podcasts?

Hello fellow reefers! I was wondering if anyone knows about any good aquarium podcasts? I like to listen to podcasts when I'm at work, and have tried to find some about the aquarium hobby, but I can't seem to! I have listened to a few that only had a few episodes, then seemed to stop posting...
  4. dbetts

dbetts' 55 gallon reef

Another update photo! Canopy is finished, and a lot more coral added. My sister purchased a home in Florida that had an established reef tank that was overgrown with coral, so I was able to snatch a lot up. I love the look of it now!
  5. dbetts

preparing to buy...

Very smart! Research is key!! And forums are your bestfriend when it comes to questions. There are some awesome people on the internet that have a lot more experience than most LFS employees. Happy reefing!! Be sure to show us your journey as you go with pics.
  6. dbetts

HOB refugium advice?

Thanks for the advice! It is kind of what I assumed. I will pass on getting one. Thanks again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. dbetts

HOB refugium advice?

Hello all, I am contemplating the idea of purchasing a HOB refugium for my 55 gallon reef. Here is the actual unit I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FRX9DW0/?tag=reefsanc-20 Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice/input from the RS community about HOB refugiums. Do you like them...
  8. dbetts

Help with Coral ID

Hello fellow reefers! I purchased a 4 pack of "assorted frags" and of course they don't tell me what they are. So I was hoping for some help identifying them. :) My thoughts are: top left: xenia or organ pipe top right: trachyphyllia bottom left: cyphastrea maybe? bottom right: pagoda
  9. dbetts

Ordering live stuff through the net

When I purchased livestock online, I was also very apprehensive. But like you said, it's just so much cheaper. If I'm not mistaken, most places will give free shipping if you order a certain amounts worth. So if you have other things to purchase as well, it can help you get to that magic number...
  10. dbetts

Coral questions...

I love my frogspawn and leather. They are both pretty easy, and look nice. I especially love how the frogspawn moves (very similar to the torch that @nanoreefing4fun talked about a few posts ago). But I do have to agree that since you have an anemone in the tank, "easy" isn't in your vocabulary...
  11. dbetts

Gerald's reef tank

Looks awesome! I love that cave you have in the middle! I'm sure something will call it home in no time. ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. dbetts

dbetts' 55 gallon reef

I really need to actually update this... Haha. So obviously a lot has changed since my last post, since that was about 7 months ago. I will try to do better at posting whenever I do something large or try something new. I want to be able to go back and see how far I've come, and can't do that...
  13. dbetts

Upgrading my lighting

Thought I would update this thread to let you all know what I ended up doing. I went ahead and purchased the ViparSpectra lights. They are now all up and running. I have some more to do to the stand I made for them, but here is what they look like on my tank right now. I am pretty happy with...
  14. dbetts

Upgrading my lighting

That's the dilemma I am having in my head :( Thank you for your input though! It definitely helps!
  15. dbetts

Gerald's reef tank

Hi Gerald! Glad to see you started a chronicle! I haven't posted in mine in a long time, so thanks for reminding me about doing that without even knowing. Haha! If that picture you posted was of a full tank only 24 hours after setting it up, good job! My tank was cloudy for a good week when I...
  16. dbetts

Upgrading my lighting

Of course! They are 48 L x 21 H x 12.5 D
  17. dbetts

Upgrading my lighting

Hello all, A few months ago I was contemplating upgrading my lighting, and I am now in the position to actually do it. I keep hearing that AI Hydras are the way to go (especially since I want to keep with LEDs). However, I would really really like to not spend almost $1,000 on lighting. I know...
  18. dbetts

Refugium or another light fixture?

Thanks for your input!! To answer your question about my filtration, I have a reef octo classic 100 hob skimmer. I think I will be focusing my efforts on lighting for now. I definitely cannot afford the AI Hydras, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of more affordable fixtures...
  19. dbetts

Refugium or another light fixture?

So I'm wanting to do some type of upgrade to my tank with a portion of my tax return this year but don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money. So my question is this: Should I get a refugium or add another LED fixture? If I splurge on a refugium, I won't have enough money to also get a...
  20. dbetts

planning phase of a new 180 tank ???

That stand is awesome! When the wife and I look to buy a house, I think one of my requirements is going to be a room large enough for a setup like this. :)