Search results

1. S

Have to admit...

Wit is correct, crabs ARE EVIL!!!! I ordered 200 nars. snails for the 55 and the 110 and I have about 25 reef hermits in the 110. As soon as the snails hit the sand there were a few of them attacked by none other than the crabs. I didn't want to admit it, but alas it is true. Also do...
  2. S

Well it's been a year

It has been a year since I started in SW. I have come along way in a year. Form having a 55 gallon that was orginally setup on two tables with about 4 inch of empty space between tables, to building a stand for the 55 then a canopy. Now just last weekend on the eve of the 55 being up for a...
  3. S

Suggestions for live stock

Little update on what I have currently. 2 false percula clowns, Royal Gramma and 2 peppermint shrimp. Various snails, and reef hermits. I would love to have a flame angel, but at 60 a piece I am going to wait awhile. Granted I am still going to wait awhile before adding more fish, just trying...
  4. S

Looking for copepods

I am trying to find some copepods I can buy online, without much luck. I dunno if I am not looking in the right places or what. Also what is the best way to get these to grow and multiply? Also trying to find some macroalgea too...
  5. S

Old newbie with new updates

Well after almost 7 months of reefing, almost pulling all my hair out, almost quiting all together, and lots of algea problems I am back with somemore questions. Update on the tank(s) for those that remember me. 55 gallon: It has 40 lbs of dry reef rock and 40 of live rock. Although now it...
  6. S

Update and some questions

Ok after the death of the sea squirt and several fishes. Things are looking better. Nitrates are back down, ph is good, nitrites nil and the same with ammonia. The tank went with nothing in it for 3 weeks. Several (4) 15 gallon water changes took place. Another planned for this week...
  7. S

Bad things happening

Welp first trouble with tank. Nitrates spiked. My test didn't show anything but LFS did. They showed 25. This was only after 1 clown goby died, and 2 peppermint shrimp. Clowns also quit eating. 20 gallon water change, HOB filters now have nothing in them we cleaned them once a week, but I...
  8. S

Frustrated

Here is the deal. The 55 gallon, been up since Dec 31. It has 2 false perculas, 2 yellow clown gobys, approx 10 small reef hermit crabs, two peppermint shrimp. 40 lbs of live rock and 35 lbs of dry reef rock. 3" sand and cc base. Water test: 0 Nitrites, 0 nitrates, 8.2 PH, 0 ammonia, 1.025...
  9. S

Falco Hawkfish

Anyone have one? How does it get along with other fish? I was reading in one of my books that it may eat shrimp or crabs. Right now we have 2 false clowns (small), 2 yellow headed clown gobies (small), 2 peppermint shrimp ( to try and get rid of aipistia) I really need to learn how to spell...
  10. S

Tank cover

What do you guys/gals use for a tank cover? We are going to purchase some new lights and trying to decide how to keep fish from jumping. Right now we have the plain jane tank covers with regular florscent lights. Any good sites to purchase from? Thanks for the help.
  11. S

Just Great

Watching the tank this afternoon after work. Just as I am thinking every thing is going perfectly. I look behind the rock at the back of the tank. And guess what. I find a small Mantis Shrimp feasting on one of the hermit crabs we just picked up. Luckily he is small so I am not worried about...
  12. S

Yellow Clown Gobys

We just put some yellow clown gobys, very small about 3/4 of a inch in the 20 gallon. Water still test no nitrites, nitrates or ammonia. Salinty is a little low at 1.21. They have been in there since Friday night. Here is the trouble. One has lost most of its color. It is almost white. The...
  13. S

Bottom Cleaners

Need some advice on some bottom cleaners. Tank specs: 55 gallon, 3 inch of sand/coral, 30 lbs of LR and 25 of dry reef rock. Right now lives 2 false clowns. What would be some good bottom cleaners? Would they be ok to add to a fairly new tank ( 1 month old). All levels still very...
  14. S

Trying to chat.

Using Mirc. Says only registered users can connect? Any help?
  15. S

Lighting

I need to do more reseach, but I thought I would check with you guys first and get some good opinions. This is for the 55 gallon. (For those that haven't tuned into my on going saga ;) ) The tank has 30 lbs of live rock, 25 of dry reef and about 30 lbs of sand and crushed coral. Right now...
  16. S

Clownfish

Well to make a long story short.. Took some water to the LFS today to have them re-check my water. They got the same readings I got. I got so excited I ended up bringing home two small clownfish. My excitement got in the way of better judgement. The little guys are doing great. Great...
  17. S

Things are looking good.

Tank Parimeters: 55 gallon: Ammonia - 0 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 4 PH - 8.2 20 gallon: Ammonia - 0 Nitrites - 0 Nitrates - 5 PH - 8.4 Is the PH too high?
  18. S

New stand and new life

This is the new stand. 2x4's as the base. Then covered in 1x3's. Are these zooanthids? What are these?
  19. S

Buying Fish

(When it comes time) I know I still have 2 weeks I am just searching and researching. ;) Is it better to buy fish online or from a local fish shop. We went to the one specialty shop here in town and they have some tank raised Clowns. False Percs I am almost positive. I was so excited watching...
  20. S

Questions.

Ok two weeks into the cycle. Ammonia has dropped and nitrites are starting to. How many fish to add when we do start adding( Prolly two weeks still)? I was thinking one maybe two, 55 gallon tank. The LFS has some pretty good deals on feather dusters, turbo snails, and blue legged hermits...