Search results

1. sportparadise

Lighting question

I am trying to figure out the best amount of time for my lights to run. I have 6-T5 blue actinics and 2- 250watt pendant halides 12000k lights over my 125. Right now I have 3- blue on at 9:00-9:00 and 3- blue on at 10-8 And 2 halides on at 12-8. Any opinions? Just looking for the best I can...
  2. sportparadise

Hair algae going mad or i am!!!

Ok, My tank is driving me crazy. It seems like i get a problem and i fight it, it clears up and i get another. I have this brown long hair algae and i think its called neomeris annulata. Which i hear its a good macro to have but i dont like it. I have been very good with all my water changes...
  3. sportparadise

Powerless!!!???

I am on Long Island and we got hit pretty hard by the storm. I have been keeping house and tank going by generator. Now, we are in a gas disaster. No gas stations have gas and when they do I can't get there fast enough. How long can my tank go without anything running? I have already cut off...
  4. sportparadise

Critters

I have a out 3-6" of a sand bed in my DT. I mix it as much as I can but it always seems to have dirt. I have hermit crabs, shrimp,turbo's and around 100 nassarius snails. To me those guys are the best. Dig in and under during light time. What else is there to help mix and keep sand bed clean?
  5. sportparadise

Red slime remover

The past week I have been getting more and more red slime growing all around tank rocks and sand bed. I did 2 30% WC and of coarse levels are all good but can't be or I wouldn't have red slime. After all the other disasters my tank has been thru in the past (diatom,ich Dino) I didn't really want...
  6. sportparadise

Power heads running backwards

I was away for a couple days and came back to red slime starting to grow in my tank. Did water change and going to test levels tonight. While mixing up tank I noticed that my 2 koralis power heads were sucking in water where the water should be blowing out! They are in wave maker so ran them...
  7. sportparadise

Black film covering everything

Just went to rinse out my sock in sumo when I noticed everything was tinted black. Water wasn't clear in dt and almost black in fuge/sump. Sock is completely black. It's like carbon dust. Skimmer is foaming black. I do run carbon but it been in for 2 wks now. Can't possibly be give dust now us...
  8. sportparadise

Diatom nightmare!!!

I have been fight what seems to be a losing battle of a bad diatom bloom. Everything in my tank is being taken over by small brown hair algae and things are starting to die. It's covering 80% of rock and water is very cloudy. All my levels are in safe ranges. What do I do? Can't seem to beet it.
  9. sportparadise

what pump is best

Ok, my tank is set up alittle different then most. I have a 125 gal (48w x 24h x24d). i have it piped with 2' flex pipe down one floor to a room where i have the 55 gal fug set up. Its a total of 25 ft each way on the pipe, the head height on the return is about 14'. Right now i have the system...
  10. sportparadise

Struggling with nitrates

I dont know about the rest of you, but keeping nitrates down has always been a struggle for me. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of other things that pop up (tank overheating, etc...) but my nitrates always give me a hard time. And I think this is my biggest problem that keeps my tank from...
  11. sportparadise

Part 2 of overheating tank

Everything is holding. The temp has unbelievably stayed at 78.5 -79.2. Nice. I have done water change, new sock and carbon pad in sump. Also been blowing off rock in hopes to get that fuzzy brown algae out. I'll do it let tank clear and rinse sock and pads. In about 6 hours it seems to keep...
  12. sportparadise

Retro fit a T5 Ho current?

Has anyone ever torn apart a current t5 6 bulb unit and made it fit there hood? Thinking of getting one and making a lid so I can have 3 bulbs on the back and 3 in front of tank without blocking my 2 250 halide pendants. Thinking my lighting might be undersized alittle. Can all the components...
  13. sportparadise

Keeping tank from overheating

The last few weeks something is going in with my tank. All levels are checking in really good. The only thing I need to get is a chiller. Yesterday my tank was 89. And it has been getting in that range the past week. I have noticed some brown algae growing on rock. Some of my coral is shrinking...
  14. sportparadise

Ich, algae bloom, and diatom bloom

After 4 weeks of the waiting game with the sick tank running, its all good.(i think) After the ich i had to remove everything to get the fish out and then re stack it. Then all of a sudden diatom bloom like crazy. Then 24 hrs later what looked like an algae bloom took over the tank. With the...
  15. sportparadise

Diatom bloom

How long will this last? I added 25 snails on top of my 15. Been doing 10-20% water change every other day. Rinsing Filters everyday. Tank has been through hell this past month But it look like hell. Very cloudy and bloom all over. Any thing else I Can do?
  16. sportparadise

ich

OK my luck isnt changing. If anyone has seen my other problems and what i just went thru with this tank, you will know what i mean. Anyway all of a sudden i see little white spots and the body (both sides) of my DORI. I went right to testing the water. Believe it or not EVERYTHING is almost...
  17. sportparadise

Easy coral

After my big change and problems looking Into a positive outcome with tank. Need Some easy coral to get things going. What's Some good ones?
  18. sportparadise

time to get serious

Here we go, after posting the problem with my xenia yesterday and getting all the responses i did some looking around with my tank and refug tank. I am not happy with what i have and with whats going on. Thinking it time to get really serious with the reef tank thing. It also doesnt help when i...
  19. sportparadise

whats going on!!!

Can anyone tell me what they think is happening with my xenia? everything has been fine for months.they are like closed up and almost wilting. The only thing that has changed is i upped my mh from 2-175 to 2-250 10k. I have had them hanging at 15" and dropped them an inch every week about half...
  20. sportparadise

sump to tank pump

Just recently set up and relocated my sump. It was originally under tank and i have moved it a pretty good distance away from the tank. I have set up a room down in my basement just for refugium/pumps/sump. I ran 2- 1 1/2 pvc flexible type pipes from tank all the way down and across my...