Search results

1. W

Slowly phasing out

I am slowly plunging into the SPS corals..I have a couple very nice montis and recently purchased 2 cheap mille and acro frags to test myself..My question is sense I have mainly dealt with LPS and Softies I basically have dosed CA and PH seperatley..I used Kent Turbo CA in combination with...
  2. W

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I just wanted to wish everyone on the forum a safe and happy holiday season. I hope Santa brings all you good boys and girls everything you wished for. I do hope you guys have been good, cause being bad this year will get you a sack full ich, and two lumps of bad water chemistry in your...
  3. W

Reef Fanatic or Red Sea Wavemaster

I was wondering if anyone had any experince with Koralia Evos and wavemakers/timers...I was looking at the Reef Fanatic controller or Wavemaster Pro...which would be better..I know that dead stop and starts can shorten the life span of the pump..anyone know of any better mave...
  4. W

Palytoxin is not fun!

Ok...so I thought that reef chemistry would be an appropriate place for this comment...I was fragging zoas on Thursday when after about 2 hours my right hand began to cramp up and tighten uncontrollably into a fist...I ran my hand under warm water for 10 min. to relieve the muscle spasms..Then...
  5. W

Had to brag!

Recently stopped at a pet chain and to my surprise the only coral in any tank was a rock 6"x4" and covered with a 60+ polyp colony of purple hornets. Could not believe my eyes. Asked the price thinking at least $50, but oh no...Picked this treasure up for $24.99!......I am so proud of myself..
  6. W

Nuocean has great service

I recently purchased a Bubble-Magus skimmer from Nuocean.com..The prices they offer are to good to pass up, and free shipping!..After recieving my skimmer I experienced technical difficulties with the pump. The pump was very loud and destroyed both mesh wheels in 2 days. I contacted Chris at...
  7. W

Which brand skimmer?

Time has come for a new skimmer..Any suggestions..I have it narrowed down to reef octopus, or bubble magus..
  8. W

Any info would be appreciated....

looking for any first hand knowledge of detailed care sheets concering sympodium corals..
  9. W

Refugium Lighting

Ok so I finally got my new fuge, and am going to finally make the leap from my old filtration system...My question is will non HO T5s work for macro algae growth?..Or is there a better way to go?
  10. W

Do You Feel The Same WAY??????

Okay, first let me say this is not the beginning of some personal add. I really want to know if any else gets frustrated with the topics covered in the nature shows on the oceans, or in depth specials on large public aquariums. It seems to me every time I rent, tune in, or download one of these...
  11. W

Help me settle a bet!

Ok after reading the pond thread, a friend and I had an interesting discussion on ponds. I said it would be possible, albeit expensive, to set up and maintain a reef pond in tropical area(like southern FL). He said no. I say if the pond is the right size it would work. Th lighting issue...
  12. W

Clams from the market???????????

Ok I have a question.... There is a trend going around my area of people using live clams (don't really no what species) from the local fish market as filter feeders. The clams are placed in the sand bed. They claim that they have a serious nitrate reduction after initiating these clams into...
  13. W

Purple Queen Anthias

Ok heres the gist...I know as we all do that these fish are impossible...I have not found anything on the net that has a better life span in captivity for more than 6 months...My friend mistakenly ordered three females..then turned and gave them them to me. So now I have three females....I know...
  14. W

Do You Run Nitrates?

I've noticed in my tank that certain corals in my tank do worse with very low to nil on the nitrates. So I try to run some nitrate in my tank. Does anyone else commit this no-no?
  15. W

Anyone here from WV or close who wants to trade/sell frags

I was just wondering if anyone here was from WV or close enough to WV for trading/selling frags. I know its a small state (hey at least it's not RI), but looking for people in the area who are as intense with the lifestyle as I am.
  16. W

Dave's 65g Upgrade What Fun!!

So I have been running a 40 gal breeder mixed reef for 3 yrs now. The largest tank I have ever owned was a 55g (FOWLR), which after a leak was compressed into a 30g. Now after 10 yrs in the hobby I have finally taken another step up. This Christmas as a gift to myself (hehehehe) I purchased a...
  17. W

T5 HO Lighting Suggestions for a 65g tank

OK.. Here's my dilemma..I am upgrading from a 40g breeder with softies, LPS, and a T. squamosa to a 65g. The only difference in the dimensions of the 2 tanks is the 65 will be significantly deeper than the breeder. I am thinking of possibly easing into SPS. The lighting fixture I have now is...
  18. W

Any Suggestions?

Right now I'm running a 40 gal. breeder with a 6 bulb T5 HO lighting system. I'm planning to up the tank to a 65 gal. because I can still you the same stand with this system, possibly. My question is, should I stay with the 6 bulb system, or move to an 8 bulb system, or possibly (if I'm...
  19. W

Just want some new reefers to to talk to.

I started into the hobby in 1999 with a few FW aquariums, then quickly made the jump over to SW in 2000 :sinking: . I currently only have one tank up and running due to space constraints. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 40 gal breeder Nova...