Recent content by partypalooza5

1. partypalooza5

Ballast?

Well, I decided to just hook it up and see what would happen. It works :D From what I read on their website it will do 2x 55W and for some reason 65/55 are extremely close. I guess its a "gray area" or something in the lighting world. All seems to be good for now. Thanks for everyones input :)
  2. partypalooza5

Ballast?

Here's the situation: I have a 4x 65W PC light from Coralife. It works pretty good for my tank. A few weeks ago one of the ballasts finally decided to die. Now I only have 2 bulbs working. The replacement ballast is too much money, so I'd rather try to use a different ballast and re-wire it...
  3. partypalooza5

Was it the hydroids?

Well, as much as it's not a great idea, I'm probably going to take all of the rocks out and scrub them with RO water then let them dry out for a week or so. It's nearly impossible to get rid of them so I might as well nuke everything and start over. I just can't believe these things reached...
  4. partypalooza5

Was it the hydroids?

The tank is off for the night so I can probably get pics tomorrow. It doesn't seem like it's "stung" but it isn't acting right at all. It's sort of sitting on the bottom gasping. The water quality isn't great but it's not dangerous in any way. The other fish seem alright but I lost a chromis...
  5. partypalooza5

Was it the hydroids?

I have an infestation of digitate hydroids. I'm positive that's what they are. There's over 100 of them in the tank all swaying around and I fear that they are stinging the fish. My yellow tang seems to be dieing right now because of being stung by one of them. There isn't a ton of info about...
  6. partypalooza5

GloFish®

We sell these little fish at the LFS I work at. Usually people ask "whats up with those fish?" and as soon as I say "genetically modified" or anything along those lines, it either gets me a sale or it makes someone pretty offended/pissed. The worst is that people want to put them under black...
  7. partypalooza5

In the chat room!

i second that
  8. partypalooza5

a growing upsetness

The more I think about what I'm doing, the more it sort of upsets me. I own a fish that was (most likely) taken from its natural habitat, where it has its natural place, shipped across the world, transferred to different shipping boxes and bags before arriving at the LFS where it sits in a world...
  9. partypalooza5

Return pumps.

xD Yes that was what I was taking about. You can make your own easily with a few PVC fittings. You don't have to do anything. You could just go sumpless. :) Just pick an option that works best for your application.
  10. partypalooza5

Clowns vs. Firefish

Yup it's the 75. I'll just keep an eye on em for now. :)
  11. partypalooza5

Clowns vs. Firefish

I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are doing pretty good. I added three firefish to the tank tonight and now the clowns won't stop chasing them. Is it just because they are new or is it because they are totally incompatible?
  12. partypalooza5

Return pumps.

Clogging by fish is possible but not really something to worry about. If the fish gets through the teeth it's probably small enough to fit through a 1" drain pipe down to the sump. I've had a hang on back overflow box for a few years now and it hasn't caused a problem once. Just be sure...
  13. partypalooza5

Return pumps.

Or you can just drill for the drain and build a "U" tube for the return, that's what I did and it works pretty good. Easiest is to buy the hang on back overflow. Safest is to drill the tank, gravity doesn't fail (usually) You can drill the tank yourself for a total of maybe 30 bucks...
  14. partypalooza5

Return pumps.

You'll probably want to put an overflow box around the hole with the "teeth" on the top to keep fish/etc from going into your sump.
  15. partypalooza5

Return pumps.

I agree on the Via Aqua pumps, pretty solid for a cheap pump. :) As far as flow rate: You can go below but never above. If you have an 800gph overflow, you can get a 700gph pump, 800gph may be pushing it simply because its maxing it out. I wouldn't go 100% matched, even though the head pressure...