Recent content by Newbie

1. Newbie

Xenia pouting?

Our Xenia "pouted" too. Just give it some time. Depending on the light and the flow it will open up again. It likes light I have found. If there was too much flow from one of our heads too it would shrink up again. Just give it some time and let it do its thing. Enjoy. We had a hermit...
  2. Newbie

What to add first???

If I can add my 2 cents here... I'd wait a good bit after your cycle and tank starts filling up before adding your corals. I was advised to wait at least 6 months to make sure that your system is nice and stable and you have gotten into good habits. They need well balanced water to thrive...
  3. Newbie

cleaning crew

My husband bought turbo snails for our tank. They were great at cleaning all the algea everywhere until our puffer ate them. We had about 4 turbos and about 10 smaller snails-- about the size of your thumb nail; I can't remember what they were called but the combination worked great. Good Luck
  4. Newbie

Green Algea is back again

Can someone please advise again... We had a long green hair algea a couple of months ago. We attributed it to the amount of light natural and artificial coming into the room and the increase in temperature from the summer sun. It has returned again only worse it seems. We are in the throws of...
  5. Newbie

Milky substance from Foxface

Yeah, it would be hard to get a picture of it... It is coming off the top of him almost looking as if it is off his spines that is why I was wondering if he is excreting some posion into the water apposed to a fish. He is usually alone when he is doing this though. He doesn't have any issues...
  6. Newbie

Milky substance from Foxface

Good evening all, Could someone please tell me what this milky substance is that keeps coming off our Foxface. She is relatively new to our tank and I have noticed it before but she was doing it again tonight. She sits stationary for a bit then this milky stuff comes off of her, breaks into a...
  7. Newbie

Green Hair Algea

Wow, That is VERY interesting about the food. Does in fact seem like alot for feeding fish though. Anyhoo, I bought some new scrub brushes and we are going to get into that tank and scrub all the rocks, do a waterchange (with RO/DI water) and see how the rocks make out. Hopefully that will...
  8. Newbie

Green Hair Algea

Awesome, That is really helpful information. Unfortunately we have been off on our regular water changes lately. We did make the switch to RO water lately, however I did to a top of of about 5 gallons with regular treated tap water last time. I didn't think that that little would do anything...
  9. Newbie

Green Hair Algea

Can anyone lend me some advice on what to do to get rid of our green hair algea? It has been getting progressively worse. I initially started feeding less as that is usually the #1 cause, then I reduced the amount of time the lights were on. We added 3 more turbo snails, to have 2 eaten by...
  10. Newbie

Beginner Second day.

I agree, way to fast! These guys have not yet steered me wrong in almost a year that I have been there. My personal experience, we were VERY lucky and our tank settled and cycled real quick. Not knowing any better we used PRIME which alot of people here don't agree with 100% but we didn't...
  11. Newbie

very new

Welcome, welcome, welcome. This is where I came when I started almost a year ago now. I would not be where I am without the help and input of alot of reefers here. Coming from another girl, I was told about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. Let me tell you, it was a real easy read with alot...
  12. Newbie

Little Help ;(

Wow, I concur with BigAL on that one! That seems like ALOT of over feeding. We have many more fish in the same tank size and we only feed our fish 1/2 a cube occasionally. The green algea normally comes from overfeeing. We had the same issue awhile ago to. It went away after doing just...
  13. Newbie

Foxface in our tank

I don't know... I havn't heard of that. Isn't that if they are eaten and it isn't cooked properly??? No that is the blow fish...??? I'm not sure anyone? To say thankfully he hasn't died may not be acurate as he has decided to eat our hermit and about 3 of our Turbo snails... Now back to...
  14. Newbie

Foxface in our tank

Thanks everyone, Johnathan10... I agree that the load is being pushed beyond its limits. This foxface is even larger than the bluetang. Trust me, I don't believe that our tank should have the of them in there for their size and size needs alone. I think my husband was thinking of the...
  15. Newbie

Foxface in our tank

Well I think it was better to name the thread that over "husband for sale". Can anyone please give me their thoughts on the Large Foxface. My husband just brought one home and after reading about it I discover that this fish is poisonous...??? I have wanted to stay away from any sort of fish...