Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hello,
Just wondering about the picasso genetics...If you are breeding 2 picasso to each other, if you were to take 2 normal percula looking offspring from the picasso pair and bred them to each other (brother to sister), do the genetics work such that you would get some picasso offspring?

Yes. I would think any of the grades would be carrying the Picasso gene and be able to pass it to their offspring.

Also if I buy a pair from your website sometime in the future, how much flow is too much for the little guys? I have a 28g JBJ cube with the 2 stock pumps (265GPH or something) in the overflow, 2 koralia hydro 2s in the main tank, and will have a maxijet 1200 running a 1/20HP chiller. Would that be ok or do I need to grow them out in a less turbulent environment?

That sounds like a lot of gph flow but if the tank is packed with corals/rocks, it might not need adjusting. You will need to be prepared to reduce it just incase.

tigermike74

Those are beautiful babies! I had a pair of ORA platinums, but one just died yesterday. :tears: I had a misbar from Petco that died and I guess 6 weeks wasn't quite long enough for ich cysts to die off in the tank and infected the plats. The one that is left is fighting but looks lost without his mate. :(

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Snowcasso Pair

I have paired up a large female Snowcasso (from my main Picasso x Picasso pair) with "Duece" a male Snowcasso (from Snowcasso x WC Percula).

5-2-10Snowcassopair.jpg

5-2-10Snowcassopair2.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I just wanted to reiterate that the white on many of my Picassos does continue to develop until they are around 1 year old.

Here are great progression photos that MarvinsReef made me :)

I did ask Doni for permission on posting this... much easier for me to see the progression... :)
UNO_Progression2.jpg

Blitzburggirl

I have not noticed. If everyone sent me a photo of their matured Picassos/Snowcassos that they bought from me, I could gather more information... or at least have a really good idea.
With that said, there are other factors involved. Some perculas are known to loose their black when hosted by certain anemones; BTA's are one example.

Wow- always learn something new... You know more about clowns than they know about themselves I'm sure!

I have 2 pairs of your clowns.... One pair has no nem (they are the snowcasso and A+) the other pair has a LTA. Those are an A and a B... The B is GORGEOUS!!! The ones in the LTA are considerabley older than the pair without, and I see more black on all four fish every day. The B is so striking due to his black.

I'm "planning" either a carpet or a RBTA for the younger pair. But never heard that they could "loose" their black with a BTA??? Is this from experience, or reading? Is it likely? The black is the most beautiful thing about your clowns..... And their personality.. And how well they host... And seeing their parents, and being part of the "extended family." Ok, I admit, I like your clowns!

IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

FYI these were OceanDude's clowns- from you. :) I think they are approaching a year old?

Blitzburggirl

Oh, by the way.. that rock in the background of these pics is the rock I got from you LOL These pics were taken right after the rearrange. I think these 3 (clowns and nem) had been in this tank for about 2 days when this pic was taken :) You'd be amazed at how fast they have been growing :) I sure am... They stayed in the 12 for nearly 3 months and I didn't notice much growth. But in the 180 I have noticed significant growth in the last 3 weeks...

tigermike74

They are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to pick up a pair when we get back from our respective vacations! Have a great time off Doni Marie! :)

rrcg50

my snocasso x snocasso that just turned a 1.5yrs old had there first spaun last night. we will see how things turn out. hope they look as good as the parents

I hear someone has a mccolluchi pair. Someone has been holding out on us as far as photos go! lol

I demand :willis: :willis: :willis: :willis: pictures immediately lol.

eileen

Hey rrcg50, how about an update and pics of your snowcasso x snowcasso spawn?? Will you be selling any locally? I'm just down the road a bit...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
my snocasso x snocasso that just turned a 1.5yrs old had there first spaun last night. we will see how things turn out. hope they look as good as the parents

Congrats!!

My Snowcasso/snowcasso pair have spawned several times now and I think the nest is large enough this time to keep them. The previous spawns were just too small for the effort...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
hey doni do u sell ur fish to petshops also or just on-line?

With the exception of normal striped, I do not have the stock quantity to sell at the wholesale level. I do sell my small normal stripes for $2 each (minimum 30 ct.) to locals.