Glenn's Reef RSM 250

Oxylebius

No vid of my hammer yet... but here is one of my favorite pics of him :dance:

IMG_1562zzz.jpg

Lots of very pretty colors on it!

Koestby

U got a really nice tank, in fact before I got into this hobby I read your entire thread, both RSM 130 and this.. Made me make up my mind pretty quick for sure.. Thanks :thumbup:

GregT

I don't specifically target feed him, though one could and some do, I have had good luck with mine :) I do feed all my corals in my tank a variety of frozen, I thaw it in front of a powerhead & it disperses all over the tank a couple times a week.

Your tanks looking great as usual Glenn.
How do you thaw your frozen food in front of the power head please?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just hold a cube there in front of it, as it thaws only takes like 30 seconds

you will need to wash your hand after words ;)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just popping in Glenn!
My friend is wanting a reef tank and I am pointing him here to see your accomplishments.
I think the rsm is perfect for a first tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks much Frankie, I think he would be very happy with one and would have great success with you & the great members of RS advising him :)

grantd

Hi Glenn
Thanks for all your handy advice over the years.
I have an RSM 250 which is 3 years old now but nothing really impressive.
I would like to ask you if you had to start your stock RSM 250 again with 6 years of experience what would you do?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have had nothing but success with my Red Sea Max tanks, 1st my RSM 130D & then my RSM 250

I have learned so much here on RS, I feel I could have success with a custom build or any RSM tank.

The 66 gallon RSM is the perfect size for my room & water changes, if I had known when I started with my 35 gallon 130D, I would have success with all my corals & fish... I would have started with a RSM 250 66 gallon

I think they are beautiful looking tanks and the design is proven by many that you can have great success with these tanks.

The great members of RS have taught me husbandry skills play the biggest part in any tank, if $$$ were not a consideration and you know what you are doing, you can certainly build a component tank of even better quality, like a custom build with a great sump & a $1000+ skimmer would be nice, as would some top of the line leds for $2-3 thousand, a controller, a couple MP 40s, dosing pumps, etc... but RSM tanks look great & just plain work stock and with mods even better.

No regrets here I have been very happy with my RSM tank.

grantd

I have had nothing but success with my Red Sea Max tanks, 1st my RSM 130D & then my RSM 250

I have learned so much here on RS, I feel I could have success with a custom build or any RSM tank.

The 66 gallon RSM is the perfect size for my room & water changes, if I had known when I started with my 35 gallon 130D, I would have success with all my corals & fish... I would have started with a RSM 250 66 gallon

I think they are beautiful looking tanks and the design is proven by many that you can have great success with these tanks.

The great members of RS have taught me husbandry skills play the biggest part in any tank, if $$$ were not a consideration and you know what you are doing, you can certainly build a component tank of even better quality, like a custom build with a great sump & a $1000+ skimmer would be nice, as would some top of the line leds for $2-3 thousand, a controller, a couple MP 40s, dosing pumps, etc... but RSM tanks look great & just plain work stock and with mods even better.

No regrets here I have been very happy with my RSM tank.
Sorry the question was probably misleading...
I also love the look of the RSM 250 & have seen & followed with interest the many successful tanks online. I am sure you have tried a lot of things, which you wouldn't do again. So I was more asking, if you got a standard RSM 250 out the box today what would you do?

1) Sand/barebottom;
2) keep sponges/ditch them
3) refugium?
4) Does it need a sump?
5) running media/matrix?
6) T5 configuration
7) Siphoning & rock blasting?
8) is a wavemaker or extra flow essential?

My queries are mostly geared to filtration & lighting. I would really love to emulate some of the tanks but I have literally tried everything. I have 2 other smaller nano's which do exceptionally well with half the effort, no chemical adsobants, no skimmers, same NSW changes & RO water. So looking for something specific for RSM250 from experienced aquarists like yourself.
Thanks again

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not sure I am following exactly... being I have had great success, I run stock with an MP10, adding a Lifereef sump seems like a great mod, from other tanks I have seen & leds.

1) Sand/barebottom; - sand
2) keep sponges/ditch them - I don't run the stock black sponges, but one can, if they want to rinse them a couple times a week to keep them from becoming nitrate traps
3) refugium? - ? I run stock & don't have one, it would be a nice addition
4) Does it need a sump? - I run stock & don't have one, it would be a nice addition
5) running media/matrix? I run two 11.74 oz CPE & one 100 ml Purgen, changing them every 3 months
6) T5 configuration - 36" 6x39W Lights T5 - Recommendations
7) Siphoning & rock blasting? - I do both weekly with wc 10-15%
8) is a wavemaker or extra flow essential? imo - no, but a nice addition - I run a Vortech MP10 - a lot depends on the corals you keep - many run two MP10's or an MP40

Start a new thread & get everyones input - many members of the RSM Club have much pettier tanks than mine - imo and are more than willing to help everyone have further sw success ! Lots of members have made great mods to leds & sumps that make their tanks even better than the stock tank.

grantd

Not sure I am following exactly... being I have had great success, I run stock with an MP10, adding a Lifereef sump seems like a great mod, from other tanks I have seen & leds.

1) Sand/barebottom; - sand
2) keep sponges/ditch them - I don't run the stock black sponges, but one can, if they want to rinse them a couple times a week to keep them from becoming nitrate traps
3) refugium? - ? I run stock & don't have one, it would be a nice addition
4) Does it need a sump? - I run stock & don't have one, it would be a nice addition
5) running media/matrix? I run two 11.74 oz CPE & one 100 ml Purgen, changing them every 3 months
6) T5 configuration - 36" 6x39W Lights T5 - Recommendations
7) Siphoning & rock blasting? - I do both weekly with wc 10-15%
8) is a wavemaker or extra flow essential? imo - no, but a nice addition - I run a Vortech MP10 - a lot depends on the corals you keep - many run two MP10's or an MP40

Start a new thread & get everyones input - many members of the RSM Club have much pettier tanks than mine - imo and are more than willing to help everyone have further sw success ! Lots of members have made great mods to leds & sumps that make their tanks even better than the stock tank.

That's very helpful thanks Glenn - appreciate your time in responding.
I just wanted to get an experienced long standing RSM owners perspective on what works.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Pat I was playing with pics & the different ways RS members insert them ...

He is really healthy 4 years old now, I keep nori hung, I think that is a big key. Plays well with all the fish

Danreef

Jajaja....LOL....I have mine also 1 year in my tank and I try not to say "you can have one in your RSM 250......." because the TANG POLICE is always waiting to read that and write......NOOOOO you can't have one if the tank is less than.......etc.

I love that fish. For me is the best fish to have in a reef tank setting. He is so beautiful and active.

Congrats !! And I hope mine is as pretty as yours in 3 more years.

Daniel