Glenn's Reef RSM 250

Pat24601

Jajaja....LOL....I have mine also 1 year in my tank and I try not to say "you can have one in your RSM 250......." because the TANG POLICE is always waiting to read that and write......NOOOOO you can't have one if the tank is less than.......etc.

I love that fish. For me is the best fish to have in a reef tank setting. He is so beautiful and active.

Congrats !! And I hope mine is as pretty as yours in 3 more years.

Daniel

I kind of regret I didn't know so many people I respected did yellow tangs in a 250. Like almost everyone else, I love them. But, I don't have any first hand knowledge, so I went with what seems to be conventional wisdom they don't fit in our tank. Don't want to sidetrack Glenn's tank thread, though.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers - tangs love to swim & the bigger the tank the better - I'm not a member of the tang police, and I don't disagree with the fact they need lots of room to swim, mine is small, seemingly happy, well fed and healthy, has been that way for years.

This pic shows... he has quite a bit of room to swim & my scape allows for him to make laps behind the rock.

Bought some Hanna checkers today
- going give them a go, I hate testing & these look easy - lots of vids on them ...

from RS sponsor Aquacave - at a nice price

Hanna Marine Alkalinity Checker HI755
$44.95
Hanna Marine Calcium Checker HI758
$44.95

Last edited:

Pat24601

Hanna checkers are very easy to use and I love the digital read outs of the measurements.

Ditto. There are a couple of tricks to them. For example, tearing the powder packages on two sides and not just one. Being super careful to do 0.1 ml tank water on the calcium test. That last one is the major reason the calcium checker gets bad reviews, I think. It's easy to mess that up and get a wrong reading and blame the test, but once you get used to it, it's not hard. Biggest trick is to get a full ml of water and use two fingers on the shaft of the plunger to slowly and carefully only get 0.1 ml.

Danreef

Cheers - tangs love to swim & the bigger the tank the better - I'm not a member of the tang police, and I don't disagree with the fact they need lots of room to swim, mine is small, seemingly happy, well fed and healthy, has been that way for years.

This pic shows... he has quite a bit of room to swim & my scape allows for him to make laps behind the rock.

E530739A-C687-47D7-97E5-6A6B51858BCB-1159-0000001E05348DE0.jpg

Bought some Hanna checkers today
- going give them a go, I hate testing & these look easy - lots of vids on them ...

from RS sponsor Aquacave - at a nice price

Hanna Marine Alkalinity Checker HI755
$44.95
Hanna Marine Calcium Checker HI758
$44.95

Glenn...the coral beside the Tang (hammer?) Is taking ownership of the tank. One day he will not fit in the tank. And it will be : Fraging or time to upgrade... :).

Daniel

Oxylebius

I kind of regret I didn't know so many people I respected did yellow tangs in a 250. Like almost everyone else, I love them. But, I don't have any first hand knowledge, so I went with what seems to be conventional wisdom they don't fit in our tank. Don't want to sidetrack Glenn's tank thread, though.

I'm not part of the tang-police either, in that I won't berate you having one in a RSM250. But, I am of the opinion that tangs do need a larger tank, preferably longer is better then taller. In the wild, each day tangs cover many miles of the reef, they are non-stop swimmers, so the longer the tank the better for them. The RSM250 isn't a very long tank for 66 gallons, it is actually rather tall compared to some of the 55g tanks on the market.

Quite happy with my new Hanna checkers for Alkalinity & Calcium :dance: very easy to use

hanna_checkers__23495.png

Great! I am also happy w/my Alk, Ca, and Phos hanna checkers. Have even purchased the chemical refills w/o issue.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks all - I am loving my new leds ! I have watched several sunset now, but I have been at work early since installed, so I have not seen a Sunrise - looking forward to the weekend & seeing this ! :nessie:

images

I am only a few day in... but I already see signs of my corals loving them too... more reports to come :smile: am feeling like I have a whole new tank !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for asking... I am Absolutely Loving them !
I just learned how to use my Typhon controller yesterday... :nessie: it's very simple but I was going slow and didn't want to mess anything up... having now adjusted the percentage once, I can now do it in less than a minute... I am now an expert :winky:

I started at 40% & just yesterday when up to 45% I plan get to 50% in the next week or so... and maybe one day to 70%

The thought of no more bulbs to buy makes me smile & I am really enjoying Sunrise / Sunset, all my corals seem to be thriving :)

Very happy with my purchase.