DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Jose, your encouragement is appreciated. :)
I just got done with trying to "roll it up" on little areas of the sand bed & it's just impossible. Crumbles all to tiny pieces, I'd have to suck up all the sand to get it. I'm hoping time will kill it out.
I'm making little improvements in my tank (MP10 & Chiller) and I know results take time.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is it possible that there is a chance in the water composition during the winter? I know that some places for example have higher phosphates in the summer than winter.

I'm not sure about that Debbie...I have a RO-Di (5 stage) water system hook up. Going to test & see, thanks!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Did a couple of tests and things are good with the ones I did:
Refractometer reading-- 1.026
Nitrates -- 0
Phosphates-- 0 (last time I tested it was .25ppm on 3-11-13) so lower this time :)
That's all I tested today.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My Midas is no longer shy....seems to be a picture hog most of the time :)
Here he is this evening SMILING for a picture. (I really wanted him to sit down so I could get a picture of the toadstool leather that he loves so much)
31220483-F330-472C-9B7B-264B99D3800D-14122-000010F6CDC9350B_zps8210867c.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My thoughts today:
Someone needs to invent a "magic pill" to cure brown hair slime algae that will not leave my sand & corals alone :(
Was planning on cleaning the gunk out of my skimmer today & woke up to find it cleaning itself by foaming over & overflowing.
Got that all straighten up & changed out only one of my CPE bags & added another bag of Purigen. The bag that was in there has just a couple shades of darkening so I figure I might be running like 1 & 1/2 pads of it.
Any thoughts if that's TOO MUCH Purigen? That's all for now....

DaddyTLi

Did a couple of tests and things are good with the ones I did:
Refractometer reading-- 1.026
Nitrates -- 0
Phosphates-- 0 (last time I tested it was .25ppm on 3-11-13) so lower this time :)
That's all I tested today.

What are you using to test? meter or chem with color cards? I don't seem to get 0. I always get something >. Maybe is contaminated chem.

DaddyTLi

My Midas is no longer shy....seems to be a picture hog most of the time :)
Here he is this evening SMILING for a picture. (I really wanted him to sit down so I could get a picture of the toadstool leather that he loves so much)

I think is a big smile on the blenny.

Tom

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
What are you using to test? meter or chem with color cards? I don't seem to get 0. I always get something >. Maybe is contaminated chem.

I have & use both the API Reef Master & API SW Master test kits (chemicals & color comparison cards). I've not always gotten ZERO readings, so I feel like they are right.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My tank is looking better, think the brown strings are getting fewer but still not gone. It's kinda changing colors on the sand bed: going from brownish & purplish to golden brown. Don't know if that's good or badish ... Just riding it out still. ;)
I have a mushroom that has moved onto the live rock it was on (spreading out).
I have a couple of palys that are moving off of the frag plug & multiplying in numbers :)
My original little hitchhiker zoas that were 4 polyps are now 6 & really getting pretty.
All my other little zoas frags are looking good &
I AM EXCITED about going to my 1st FRAG SWAP on Saturday :dance:
I may need RS help with info on new coral care....don't know what I do without ya'll....hope to never find out ;)
Thanks for reading my update :D

Choff

Hey Diana, I'm sure other folks have said this, but give the algae some time, your tank is still very young and going through the algae cycle. Things should balance themselves out. Just keep following good husbandry practices.

As for the chiller, mine also stressed not to put it in a cabinet. I did anyway. I just leave the door open during the day which when it typically runs.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DaddyTLi

My tank is looking better, think the brown strings are getting fewer but still not gone. It's kinda changing colors on the sand bed: going from brownish & purplish to golden brown. Don't know if that's good or badish ... Just riding it out still. ;)
I have a mushroom that has moved onto the live rock it was on (spreading out).
I have a couple of palys that are moving off of the frag plug & multiplying in numbers :)
My original little hitchhiker zoas that were 4 polyps are now 6 & really getting pretty.
All my other little zoas frags are looking good &
I AM EXCITED about going to my 1st FRAG SWAP on Saturday :dance:
I may need RS help with info on new coral care....don't know what I do without ya'll....hope to never find out ;)
Thanks for reading my update :D

That is good news. Post some updated pics. We want to enjoy the growth and progress.

Tom

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here is a FTS taken TODAY. I've not added anything new in a long time. Looking forward to going to the Frag Swap on Saturday...hope to find some pretty coral there & will update this FTS to show my additions :)
The mushroom in the bottom picture is one I got as a hitch hiker. It has gotten HUGE, I hope it reproduces. It glows under the night lights. :D
BDE99B6D-120A-414C-953D-CCECD3B80DDE-19701-000017AAB50542FA_zps7fe0220f.jpg
[/IMG]
6FE19AE4-2CA6-4F08-B0F1-C480AB96343F-19701-000017AABA7A88B8_zps245c0c40.jpg
[/IMG]
Thanks for staying tuned to all my "new tank algae" episodes & your encouraging words :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh, I was going to ask:
All those HUGE SNAILS....the LFS fixed me up with them & I'm wondering now if 5 of those HUGE ONES (some shown in picture above) are too many for my tank???
I kinda don't like the looks of them being that BIG :confused:

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

Oh, I was going to ask:
All those HUGE SNAILS....the LFS fixed me up with them & I'm wondering now if 5 of those HUGE ONES (some shown in picture above) are too many for my tank???
I kinda don't like the looks of them being that BIG :confused:
I have 7 of them and I 3 crooked. They seem to move fast. They are the one's that stay still for a long time and hermits will not give them a chance to recover/rest.

Tom

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I can't wait to see the photos of all the goodies that you get tomorrow.

Sent from John's Tapatalk