Dave's RSM 500

jeffrey

Looking good, looking real good! Looks like you have the skimmer working in overdrive speed. If that sock sags into the water after cleaning it a few times you can pull it over both tubes, fits just right.

David Shaw

Thanks Jeffrey. Yup the skimmer is working hard indeed! I have it set to think foam bubbling away at the top.
The sock has a plastic outer ring around it so it shouldn't sag. Those socks really do stop a lot of gunk don't they.

Shan

Thanks Jeffrey. Yup the skimmer is working hard indeed! I have it set to think foam bubbling away at the top.
The sock has a plastic outer ring around it so it shouldn't sag. Those socks really do stop a lot of gunk don't they.

Dave I added a sock to mine yesterday. How often are you changing yours? I'm hoping I can do it once a week with no problems?

David Shaw

I am changing mine every couple of days, but could probably get away with a bit longer. Depends how much detritus you have floating around i guess.

David Shaw

Not sure, as i didn't order online i picked them up from my LFS, they measure about 6 inches across. I don't really think you need them around both tubes as the overflow is just there in case the water level rises in the back. Mine fits both in if needed but so far i just have it on the main return pipe.

David Shaw

Well my skimmer pump quit this afternoon so i took it apart, cleaned it out and fitted it back together, luckily it's all working again. While i was in the sump I went to adjust the mat that the main pump sits on. Bad move!. I was holding the pump and the return pipe and must have clicked the release. Water fountain! I got soaked, carpets got soaked etc as i scrambled to turn off the pump switch.

Mopped up and carpets drying out.

Note to self - turn the main pump off before moving or fiddling around re-positioning the mat and pump.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good to hear you got it going again and

:jumprope: Thanks for sharing - sure it will help someone in the club from making the same mistake

David Shaw

Thats why i posted Glenn, to warn others of accidentally clicking the release button. In future, anytime i go to touch the main pump or to move it gets switched off 1st !

phf

Great pics Dave ! Beautiful tank ! I hope my tank will one day ressemble yours !
Sorry for reading what happened to you and thanks for sharing the need to shut the pump first !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

David Shaw

How do your angels get along?

I have 4 and they get along great. The Lemonpeel and the Majestic swim together a lot, and the other two just do their own thing. All get on together and they even feed from the same feeding station at the same time without a fuss. Luckily none pick at the corals either. Guess i got lucky.

David Shaw

I had a small crab (a bad one with black claws) that sneaked in on a piece of coral i bought a few months ago. He sped away from me when I first put the coral into the tank and before i had a chance to net him. I haven't been able to catch him since.

Tonight = Result !!! I noticed a coral had toppled off a rock due to a turbo snail. When i went to re-mount it i spotted him hiding in the coral.

Removed and banished ! I have returned my tank back to no worms or other hitchhiking critters, hurrah. The only time i forgot to use a coral dip before adding anything into the tank and i got the crab.

Reminder to self - dip those corals.