RSM Lifespan?

Rue

I don't recall anyone else asking, or I might have missed it.

Do we have a lifespan expectation?

marine281

Hmmm, good question, they seem like a pretty sturdy unit, joins look strong on the glass. A weekpoint would be the hood, can see the arms that hold it up failing pretty easily, as well as the skimmer collection cup becoming brittle with age & chipping the edge where it joins to the skimmer body.

Everything is designed to be replacable tho, so i'd say you could look forward to a fairly long lifespan, with a few repairs along the way..

Lets see if Steve has an answer for this one.. :)

new reefer 03

i dont have one but i would guess it last for ever as long as you take care of it. Look at Pauls tank, 38 years old!

steveh

We tested Max for some time before launching approx 3 years ago. The aquarium, cabinet and all components were chosen with reliability being just as important as performance. Some components will need replacing occasionally (such as hood fans, pump impellers). However as almost every part of a Max can be replaced easily, we believe the aquarium should keep you happily reefkeeping for many, many years

MatthewJ

I'm more concerned about parts availability (and cost) in a few years, because the RSM uses a lot of parts that only fit this tank. The bulbs especially I'm worried might not be readily available in the future. Is RedSea committed to parts availability for a defined number of years?

steveh

The Max 130 and 130D lamps are one and the same. All we have done is improved the original lamps, without changing the fittings, length etc. Max is a long term investment for us and you will have absolutely no issues either now, or in the future in ensuring you can obtain replacement lamps. If your lfs does not stock them then email Red Sea directly.

MatthewJ

Thanks steveh. Can you clarify...so there is a new bulb for the 130D, and it fits the 130? Or, is the 130D using the same bulb as the 130?

Last edited:

rereefer

Steve, I ordered bulbs from Pinky two weeks ago and she said they are out. I couldn't find any in stock as well. Hopefully this is out of the norm!

MatthewJ

There are a couple online stores that sell the bulbs for the 130 (and i guess the 130D if they are the same???):

Red Sea MAX Parts
Red sea max parts 55 watt lamp bio media black mechanical filter sponge red sea max circulation pump red sea max cooling fan red sea max heater red sea max carbon red sea max protein skimmer pump red sea max white fine filter pads red sea max o-ring

I'm guessing the above are basically the same stores. drsfostersmith.com seems to have the best price, but is out of stock until 01/30:

"MAX Reef Aquarium System Package 55W 10000°K/Actinic Replacement Compact Fluorescent Lamp, is on backorder, expected in on 01/30/09. You may add to cart for future delivery or..."

mmaness

Steve, I ordered bulbs from Pinky two weeks ago and she said they are out. I couldn't find any in stock as well. Hopefully this is out of the norm!

That doesn't sound too promising for a long RSM lifespan. Bulbs are a necessary item, and if Red Sea doesn't keep them in stock ...

Rue

Just use Coralife bulbs...that's what RSM told my LFS...

That's what I'm using...no problem...

MatthewJ

Rue,
Can you provide a link to the ones you purchased (it appears there are two 55W lengths..21" and 22")? I'm a little confused about the lighting used in the 130 and 130D. It would seem to me that if the bulbs are indeed the Coralife PC bulbs, then this confusion is mostly because of the way Red Sea markets the lighting as T5. If this is true, this would also lead me to believe that the 130 and 130D have the same lighting. I swear I remember reading where the lighting/PAR value had been improved in the 130D. Better reflectors perhaps?

Rue

I just went to get the boxes...but apparently I threw them out.

They're Coralife 65W...one white, one actinic...

Give me moment here...I'm on dial-up...

MatthewJ

65W...are you sure? The spec says the 130 uses 55W. I'm curious, because if I can mix and match, I might get 2 all actinic bulbs and one 10,000k. That way I can run all actinic for pictures If I want.

dialup? what's that :)...oh, you're probably out in the woods somewhere in Canada. LOL.

Rue

Yup...THAT I'm positive on! I wrote that down, and was wondering about it...

Sorry, I can't find a link to anything I know is correct...takes forever to load some sites, and then their photos suck...

But I'll keep trying to find out. I'd ask my reef guy, but he's busy getting married...so I don't want to ask him right now...

Yes! As a matter of fact I live in the Great Canadian Prairie Boondocks.

The sad thing is that we're only 15 minutes outside of the city, and our neighbours can get the hi-speed signal...we however, can't. Waiting on them to build another tower.

Funny thing is...we can get digital cable...

MatthewJ

Thanks Rue. My wife's a bit of a city girl, or I'd probably live on a farm. I'm a little concerned about running a 65W bulb in a 55W fixture. I'd like to here that it's okay from steveh or similar before proceeding down that path. The extra 65W would be nice though! To kind of bring this back to the original topic, if other fixtures use the same bulbs I'd be a little less concerned about them long term.