Zooxanthellae In A Bottle?

Oxylebius

This part of the write-up is true.

It has been documented that there is an exchange of zooxanthellae between corals/clams and their environment.

This has been show to happen with corals from one area that are transplanted to another area - different clades of zooxanthellae can be expelled by the coral so that it can take in new clades.

But, I'm skeptical of products like this.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Tagging along as well :)
You should take some photo's of the corals you're going to target so that you can take some more photo's down the track to see if there's much difference :)

ReefApprentice

I do believe it is its real but I believe that its farmed zoo of a few variations. Haven't tried it but have seen then in all my LFS.

ChitownRomeo

Any noticeable changes or differences after a couple of weeks?

My Torch coral was bleached and now fully extending and turning pink again. My frogspaws "legs" are extended and fat lol. Duncans are fully extended but my Acans didn't seem to like it. Faded in color a tad bit. But have grown heads and eats like a pig now. No effect on my Zoas or sps though :(

Anne2419

I have a RBA, and about a year ago started bleaching out. It was a pretty sizeable anemone, maybe about the size of a lady's hand all spread out. Over time my nem moved to the back of the tank for about two weeks where I tried to get food to it, but doubt it ate much or any at all. Eventually the nem came back to the front on the tank but was nearly all white! I really have been trying to nurse this little guy back. Last summer I would take a picture of it after each feeding, so that I could keep track of the progress. By late summer the color was returning but still wasn't a very good eater. color was coming back!! I was so excited. But... As the winter months came upon us my nem started eating less and less (fed pieces of jumbo shrimp three times a week). We bought new lights because it was time to change them. I really thought that would help the little dude out. It didn't. It keeps getting smaller and smaller and just a faint pink on the tips. I'll also find food that had been spit out. I've tried many different kinds of food. The jumbo shrimp pieces are it's "favorite". I don't find that spit out as much as the scallop or silversides or mysis shrimp. I'd like to get opinions on the zoo. alge in a bottle or any other suggestions. I just want to nurse this little finicky eater back to a big healthy anemone our clown fish loves so. Does anyone have a tip or two?

Snid

Anne,

Constantly check your water parameters and make sure that they are consistent. Anemones hate unbalanced water. Keep a log so you can see the trends. Test at generally the same time of day when you do test. If things are off, gradually change them.

Also, when you do water changes, how frequent and how much? What is the water source?

When it moved around, did it seem like it was trying to get away from light or closer to it?

Last edited: