Zoas irritated (HELP)

saltfan

I have 2 zoa colonies and for the past 3 days they havent been opening as full as normal if at all. I noticed this morning both colonies have very thin things growing out of them with a tiny ball at the end of each one I think you can see them in the pics but took them with lights out so there are alot of shadows any ideas what these might be and if they could be the irritation. Should I dip them in coral RX? The last photo shows the 2 zoa locations one top left and the other bottom left, any help would be great. Tank parameters are as follows. Thanks all

SG 1.025
temp 78
alk 8 dkh
ca 420
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
Mg 1300

DSCF4924_zpsed61b2d7.jpg

DSCF4925_zps38e36d0d.jpg

DSCF4899_zpsaa7448b6.jpg

Check your phosphate levels as they probably need reducing.

That is algae in the pics. If you see a bobble on the end it is probably an air bubble where it is growing.

saltfan

forgot phosphates but they are at or near 0 the second pic does look like algae and they are not air bubbles. first pic shows them the best and at top of second pic. Thanks Diana will take a read. Have NEVER had probs with any zoas in any of my other tanks besides rapid spreading...lol

Camille

Are the white dots in the first photo on the zoa's or the glass?

If they are on the zoa's it'll be zoa pox. Easily treated if you get in fast. If you leave it, it will spread and slowly melt your zoa's. Furan 2 works for me.

If it's on the glass - congrat's you've got baby snails ;-)

Good luck :)

Mike Johnson

They are colonial hydroids. I thought you were aware of them because I saw them in another one of your identification posts and you didn't ask what they were. Hydroids will irritate your zoas.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They are colonial hydroids. I thought you were aware of them because I saw them in another one of your identification posts and you didn't ask what they were. Hydroids will irritate your zoas.

Mike, how's the best way to rid a tank of colonial hydroids?
I have a patch in my tank also. :(

Mike Johnson

Wow, that's a difficult question. Sometimes (most of the time) they come and then they go. Sometimes they are not causing any problems. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are causing a problem. You'll see burned areas on your corals. Controlling nutrients is important. I had some in my tank when it was newer and they went away on their own or maybe the Flame Angel or Urchins ate them?

I've heard Flame Angels, Sea Hares, Urchins will eat them, but I wouldn't count on it.

People with severe infestations usually take their tanks down, bleach their rocks, and start over with about 15% new seeded rock. I've also heard Red Devil drain cleaners (pure NaOH) and kalk mixture.

If they have not spread throughout your rock I would take the one rock out and bleach it.

I bet my Matted Filefish would eat them. I don't know, but it's been the best fish ever so far.

Blue Space

I would try fragging them up to see if you can get a frag without any. then at least you could grow the colony out again.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm pretty sure Hydroids are what they are. I have some & YES they wiped out a very pretty colony of zoas :(
from my tank. I'd have to tear down my rock scape to take out the rock they are on :(