HELP! Wrasse dying?

melvis

Hi all

My Cleaner Wrasse has been acting add for a couple of days now, hiding in or hanging out of some LR for ages and ages and not even eating despite being target fed. Thought he was dead a couple of times and on going to remove him, either saw his gills moving or he swam off.

He's doing the same tonight and it's heartbreaking to watch and not be able to do anything. :(

Really don't know what to do so posting just for some advice really. Cheers

melvis

Unfortunately, my shrimp got hold of him so can safely say he has gone and has now been removed. Gutted, he really livened the tank up with his constant movement and beautiful streak of blue. RIP little fella.

Pat24601

Unfortunately, my shrimp got hold of him so can safely say he has gone and has now been removed. Gutted, he really livened the tank up with his constant movement and beautiful streak of blue. RIP little fella.

:(

DaveK

Cleaner wrasses are really one fish that should be left in the ocean. They usually eat parasites from other fish. Most will never learn to eat what we would consider normal foods in thea aquarium.

From time to time, there are cleaner wrasses that eats normal foods, and if you have one that does they can live a long time.

Generally your better choosing another fish.

Oxylebius

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Next time this happens the first thing you should do is to test your water parameters to see if they are all w/in normal range (you didn't post any test results). If you are dosing anything, then test those chemicals as well. You would want to rule out issues with high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and if any of your dosing chemicals are off. This is so your other fish won't be affected. A water change (or two) can bring the values within normal ranges. That said, sometimes fish suffer from internal issues that we can't see, which is hard to diagnose and thus to treat.

melvis

Totally agree Dave and I mentioned the same on my chronicle. He was an impulse buy that I regretted once I got home and read up a bit, but in the same breath, he really livened up the tank with his energetic swimming and managed to coax the others out into swimming more too. He ate really well, anything from frozen or fresh mysis or brine shrimp to flake food and was fed regularly once I realised their demands.

I think this might be a knock-on effect to his time spent in the sump a few weeks ago. God knows how he got into the back of my RSM C130 but I do know it took hours to get him out with all the bits in the sump being removed along the way.

I tested everything and the results were as follows Oxy:

SG - 1.025
PH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm
Alkalinity - 8 dkh
Calcium - 440ppm
Magnesium - 1420ppm
Phosphates - 0.03ppm

Only thing I've been dosing lately is Seachem's Reef Builder to boost my ever low KH and I've slowly brought this up from 4 dkh, as even the water changes I've been doing over the two weeks I've been off work over Christmas haven't helped raise this at all.

Mag is up on last reading of 1300, Calc down from 470, PH up from 8.0 and everything else the same. Another WC due soon to reduce the Nitrates down further. Cheers