Worried Orange Spotted Goby Hides all day??

wyldbull

Was searching for some info and if I should be worried or not.

Last week I added a Orange Spotted Goby to my tank. I have a 60 gallon tank with plenty of live rock and only have 2 true percs and a small Blonde Naso. The Goby went to town the first 4 or 5 days that I had him. He turned over all the substrate and made about a half dozen little caves for himself.

Ok so here is the question. The past 3 days he is not to be seen. I did a search for him twice and found him under a rock which made me happy that he was alive. Is this normal for Gobies to hide like this as he had previously been all over the tank.

Also, I feed my fish mysis shrimp and he will grab maybe 5 or 6 of them. Can he get enough food from the substrate.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Scott

well, a few questions to start with...
1. how old is your tank?
2. is your sand "dirty"
3. is it LIVE sand, gravel... substrate type..

And yes, usually a goby will hide, as long as they grab some food they will be okay for upwards to a month.. mine actually hid for 3 weeks solid unless he came out at night and then eventually came out and was fine till he got ick from another fish and died :(

wyldbull

Thanks for the response.

My tank is over a year old.
Substrate is mainly live sand with some coral gravel.

When the Goby turned over the substrate he found some dirty areas that clouded up the tank pretty good. I turned on my UV as a precaution.

Jeremy0322

This is a fun question for me because i had a 55 with 2 ocellaris clowns and a yellow tang, and when i got my goby he hid for about 5 days and then came out for about a week then hid again for a little then came out, they are just indecisive i think so i wouldnt worry too much. Mine ended up jumping out of the tank though so he isnt around anymore :cry1:

wyldbull

Sorry to hear about the jumper but thank you for the encouragement that they can have a tendancy to hide. I have just been worried since he was so active at first then then just hides. Guess all I can really do is wait and see what happens. Thanks again for the info

Thanks for the response.

My tank is over a year old.
Substrate is mainly live sand with some coral gravel.

When the Goby turned over the substrate he found some dirty areas that clouded up the tank pretty good. I turned on my UV as a precaution.

im sure your fine, hell get out of that habit.. its a seasoned tank, and mainly sand.. which is good.. hell come out and continue digging, i wouldnt worry