will clown fish eat my peppermint shrimp?

MatthewJ

I added a peppermint shrimp to my tank today to help control aiptasia. The clownfish didn't notice it for quite a while. When they finally noticed it, they really seemed to go after it, especially the male who is about the same size as the shrimp. Is this a territorial thing, or will clown fish kill and eat a peppermint shrimp because they find them tasty? The small clown is very aggressive, he's guaranteed to bite me if I put my hand in the water. My tank is a 35G RedSea Max. I'm starting to really dislike these fish:cursin:. I think maybe the local college will take them.

Jeremy0322

Both of my clownfish go after me the second my hand touches that water. I am pretty sure this is a territorial thing, i have never heard of a clownfish killing and eating a shrimp, so I think you should be in the clear.

Stacef

I am with you Jeremy, I would say it's a territorial thing, especially if they are around the same size. I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Jeremy0322

I still dont know if mine have realized that I own them Stace. Every time i go near them its like they want to kill my hand, its very disappointing actually. :( lol

chrome91

nope, shouldnt harm the shrimp. just dont forget theyre from the damsel family, so they can get territorial

my ocellaris absolutely hates cameras, if he sees one he gets all ticked and starts chasing it and pounding the glass

They say maroons are the most agressive of all the clowns. Well I have a pair of ocellaris that would give the maroons a run for the title. They are afraid of nothing.