Wierd Stuff Swimming At Night

ChitownRomeo

Can anyone tell what those are swimming in my tank. Got up to grab a glass of water and shined the light from my phone in the tank and saw ALOT of these things swimming and darting around. I know they are not copepods. I just added 55 pounds of Real Reef Rock and this is what came from it...

[video=youtube_share;owcDGAouvPY]http://youtu.be/owcDGAouvPY[/video]

These really do look like pods at first glanse but then when i see the swimming around like this i start to wonder.. Turn off all pumps and take another video. I honestly think they are pods though.. Could be possible fry that's why i'm curious. Have you had any pregnant fish lately? lol

ChitownRomeo

Only fish in the tank right now is a pair of clownfish. My duncans and Acans are devouring whatever they are lol.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It looks like a LOT of activity for them to be pods to me.

After a second look it looks like they have eyes?

Looks more like some kind of fry as stated above.

Get some rotifers to feed them and catch a few and grow them up and see what they are:)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
They actually look like mysis shrimp to me by the way they are swimming - that is a GREAT problem to have! I have some leopard wrasses that would clean them out in an hour!

Cool video

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They look like Mysis Shrimp or maybe even brine shrimp to me also.
Wish I could get them started in my refugium (at least I think I do :yup: )
I have copepods that swim around (suspending themselves) in the water column flow in my refugium....but they look more like dust particle size debris.
Without fish (like in a refugium) you might be able to keep a population of them.
I'm going to guess where the real reef rock was being stored they are safe from predators.
Cool video, thanks for sharing!! :thumbup:

ChitownRomeo

It looks like a LOT of activity for them to be pods to me.

After a second look it looks like they have eyes?

Looks more like some kind of fry as stated above.

Get some rotifers to feed them and catch a few and grow them up and see what they are:)

They do have eyes lol.

Oxylebius

I agree with the rest, they are mysids shrimp. I have them in my tank also. Have had them since the tank was set up (2.5 years ago). In my experience they continue to reproduce and feed on detritus.