Why so many fish problems?

cracker

I kept a CopperBand for almost 6 years, She was always sticking her nose into cracks and crevices eyeballing a patch of that unsightly HA. I always and still do want a Mandarin but afraid there isn't enough to feed it. Then there is the possibility the fish was doomed before You even take it home. I personally believe we have a moral duty to do what it takes to give these animals the best life we can offer. They have a right to make a living just like we do. PaulB &Prt Gunner I can't imagine what You Guys went thru wayback. I was fortunate not to be in the position You guys were. Thanks!

cracker

Paul where Ya visiting in Fl? I'm just south of Jax. Wouldn't mind living say, 200 miles south. This is considered a temperate zone and the ocean waters reflect it! You mentioned somewhere seeing tropicals in your waters. We also get tropical fishes during summer.brought up by the gulfstream I would think. They are doomed when winter drops water temps. State laws are very strict concerning collecting these fish.

Paul B

We can collect those fish here in New York as they will die anyway and I don't think our conservation officers even know what they are looking at. They are more intersted in food creatures like lobsters, crabs and clams. I will be going to Boca for a short visit as the factory that builds Majano Wands is there, then to our closest friends in Key Largo for some diving. I also have a cousin near Pompano beach that we may see.
We also have a good friend in jaxonville that my wife is on the phone with now.

pgrtgunner

Paul: You look like a real BA (Bas Ass). I have pics of me, but I don't have a scanner
any more to post any of them.

As you probably have PTSD I am trying to get VA to compensate me for mine. I was diagnosed with it
Feb 2012. I only ever used my VA was for houses. My long time doctor finally talked me into being seen
by the VA shrinks. I knew something was not quite right with my jumping at any more than little sound.

I put 12 pics n my original filing of 3 North Koreans 2 of us killed that were infiltrating the South. They had American
M-14's and metal detectors for the mines. Up on the DMZ there are thousands of mines still buried. We used Claymores when
we were pulling duty at our out posts on the MDL (Military Demarcation Line) which were 3 strands of barbed wire 2 feet apart
and 24" off the ground. We would trade candy for cigarettes with the North Korean soldiers during day light hours and shoot them
at night.

Also sent them (VA) pics of a jeep my buddy was in go flying through the air when NK put some APM (Anti Personnel Mines) in mud puddles on the road going back to our company. And pics of a quandson hut at out A Co. that had been blown up with a huge satchel charge
the night before that killed a few of our guys. I was on the clean up crew. I drove a deuce and a half for Supply and Recon Platoon. VA said I didn't fit in their
criteria, they want more proof, REALLY?!!!

Man, you were lucky in your firefight, the odds were so one sided. I've heard of your firefight for years. They also had a special
of that on the Military Channel. You are a blessed man Paul :)........Mark

Paul B

That was a long time ago in a different world. My wife tells me I have PTSD but I think I came back better. I don't seem to have the problems most people have, I think that comes from combat but it could be that I am just hard headed and stubborn
But I was real good looking. :camera:

cracker

Paul B, I hear You have helped the blind to see! OK a little over the top maybe , LOL I have an older wrasse that appears to have difficulty seeing and finding food. It eats well when the food is right in it's face. Could You suggest some type of vitamin/additive from any source to add? Something that might boost his efforts. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

Paul B

Cracker, they seem to live about 12 years then have all sorts of "old" problems such as going blind, losing their appetite, then dying. I know of no vitamin that would help him if he is just old. But sometimes fish do just lose their sight as I have noticed that a few times and for my fish anyway, it came back after a decent diet of live foods such as live blackworms. But I doubt a vitamin would help unless he was just fed dry foods

cracker

Thanks Paul B,In recent years I cut back on the shrimp heads and squid bits,trying to cut back on excess nutrients. Now I see what I managed to do.

Paul B

Cracker, I went to Key Largo and only snorkled, we did not SCUBA this trip as it was cold and the water was murky. I wanted to test out my swing arm hydrometer and am happy to report the salinity there is fine and we don't have to change it. I explored some mangrove Islands until we found out that was illegal. But we didn't get arrested which is always a good thing.

Oxylebius

Nice photo with the coral reef restoration foundation. On the right side of the picture, the christmas tree shaped object with coral hanging from it, I've seen one of those in action for growing coral that will end up getting transplanted to a rocky reef. Seems to work really well.

Paul B

Yes they found out that they grow like 3 times faster if they are suspended like that instead of anchored to the bottom.

Pat24601

Diana, that's the same way I think about Supermodels.

Pgrtgunner, the first week in country we (150 of us) were attacked by 400 NVA and they killed about 50 of us. There is a book out about it now, and yes I was also 19.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1250024951/?tag=reefsanc-20

One of the reviewers of the book said some parts of it are different than how he remembers. I think that happens in any retelling. It can be hard to remember exactly what happened 40 years ago.

Did you find the book to be mostly accurate?

Last edited:

Paul B

I found it accurate but remember I thought the battle was only happening around me. It was the dry season and the red dirt exploded into a thick red dust that made visibility maybe 20 or so yards. I didn't realize the devastation on the rest of the LZ until the sun came up and I saw the full impact. The book is an account of 6 or 7 people and how they saw things. They didn't ask me what I saw which would have ben different as everyone had a different view and their own separate battles. I don't want to get into the aftermath of the battle on a fish site and most people wouldn't believe it anyway

cracker

My Local reef club "JaxReef & Marine club" made a donation for one of the coral trees.Interesting concept,hanging them like that. Paul , Glad You had a fun visit. When Are You going to leave the cold and snow and come on down?!!! That way You won't have to worry about replacing that snow blower. Motoring the boat down the Inter Coastal sounds like fun!

Paul B

I get there occasionally. My Majano Wands are built in Deerfield Beach Florida and I have a cousin on the water at Lighthouse Point. Our closest friends have that place in Key Largo and we have another close friend in Jacksonville. I was just there so I probably won't get back until next winter as it is almost boating season here and I don't go anywhere during our short boating season.