Why Is My Anemone Hiding under My Live Rock

Jetmart

I have a new LTA for 5 days now. It is very large but has backed its way under my live rock so only displaying about a 1/3 of its actual size. I know they go where they are comfortable however he is in a spot with less light and less water flow. My new clowns are just starting to spend some time close and in the LTA.

A pic from the front:

A pic from the side:

reefer gladness

Hopefully it's just acclimating but you really jumped the gun by adding a nem so early. Nothing you can do but let the nem find it's place.

Many folks report nems pouting for no apparent reason for a day or two before returning to normal, but in my experience it's usually related to water quality and the stability of the tank.

Jetmart

Hopefully it's just acclimating but you really jumped the gun by adding a nem so early. Nothing you can do but let the nem find it's place.

Many folks report nems pouting for no apparent reason for a day or two before returning to normal, but in my experience it's usually related to water quality and the stability of the tank.

I agree that I got it too soon but did not know better until i got home with it. I have relied too much on several different LPS and got bad info. I read up on it online once figured out what I had. MY LPS new exactly my situation. Oh well live and learn. I will do my best to take good care of it.

Joeys Tank

One trick to get an anemone to move or release its grip with its foot is to point a powerhead directly at it. They don't like a lot of flow. This is very likely what is going on with yours. He doesn't like the amount of flow so it is trying to tuck itself into/under rocks.

reefer gladness

One trick to get an anemone to move or release its grip with its foot is to point a powerhead directly at it. They don't like a lot of flow. This is very likely what is going on with yours. He doesn't like the amount of flow so it is trying to tuck itself into/under rocks.

Honestly I doubt it's getting too much flow. If anything it may not get enough because circulation in a stock RSM 130D isn't that great (I have one in mothballs). Good circulation improves oxygenation which is critical to photosynthesis, pH, etc.

Keep nitrates and phosphates under control with regular water changes and maintain stable temps it will likely do okay.

Jetmart

Red Sea upgrade form two small pumps to one much larger pump. I have a pretty good flow mostly pointed at the water surface. With that said the nem is moving back a forth pretty good considering he is down low and in the rocks.

DaveK

Your anemone looks very white. I suspect it is bleached. At this point I'd leave it alone, as long as it otherwise seems OK. If it's bleached, it can recover, but it's under some stress and you don't want to add to this. Don't mess with it. It may way that dim out of sight area to recover.

Normal LTAs should usually be brown or green, or purple, or combo of those colors.

You mzy want to return the anemone to your LFS. As you found out, most LFSs will sell you anything, even if your tank is not ready for it.

Jetmart

I agree that is what it most likely is. I inaccurately identified it. The LFS did not other then it was a anemone. Looking at pics of heteractis crispa it looks just like the white one pictured here off the web. Thanks for the accurate ID.

sirrealism

In a couple days start feeding it little pieces of meaty foods. I have seen this many times with sebae nems. I am not sure why they do this. If it has not moved into the light in a week or so then you should move it . Water change, water change and more water changes. Make sure your water quality is perfect.

Mike Johnson

To answer the original question, "Why is my anemone hiding under my live rock?" Because they have no brain and are not smart enough to get into the light even to save their life. In the wild many of them die if they attach in a spot not suitable.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
For LOTS of reasons: I got over the urge to keep an anemone 20 years ago :yup:
With so many beautiful flowy LPS corals to chose from....I'd take the nem back & trade it in.
Most corals will stay put right where you put them. Once you find them a HaPpY place, then no worries of corals wondering their way into a death trap. Just sayin' :D

Last edited:

Jetmart

For LOTS of reasons: I got over the urge to keep an anemone 20 years ago :yup:
With so many beautiful flowy LPS corals to chose from....I'd take the nem back & trade it in.
Most corals will stay put right where you put them. Once you find them a HaPpY place, then no worries of corals wondering their way into a death trap. Just sayin' :D

Will most LFS take it back after a week. To be honest if I new then what I know now about it I would have not bought it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Will most LFS take it back after a week. To be honest if I new then what I know now about it I would have not bought it.

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to ASK them to take it back especially if you just ask to trade it in on some other coral that you want. I really think the worry that Nems create is a good reason to not have one ;)

Tokalosh

One’s tank has to be very well established to accommodate an anemone, by this I mean a year old or more. A happy anemone is one that will stay put and never move once it has found itself the perfect spot.

This is something it has to do not you.

It can be persuaded to stay in a certain place by feeding it on a regular basis. Like mentioned above the correct lighting is also key as well as your water parameters.

The only corals that I have found that do not stay put if they are not happy are anemones and mushrooms.

Hope this helps
Tok