Whippetguy's Cadlights 50g Rimless

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Time for a new chronicle! :) As you may have noted in my 16g nano thread, I decided to upgrade that little tank to this one. I received the tank shipment today from Cadlights. It was well packed, wrapped and shipped via freight by FedEx. Everything appears to have arrived okay. It didn't come with any instructions but I emailed them at 7pm my time and they replied within 5 minutes with the instructions via an attachment. I had read some not quite good reviews about their customer service, but so far I'm very impressed. My set up came with a stand which I've already gotten put together (does anyone hate putting doors on these cabinets as much as I do), 18g sump/refugium, 3rd generation PLS pipeless protein skimmer, and of course the 50g 24X24X20 aquarium made with starphire glass. The drain is a herbie design. I'll attach photos of the stand and sump later. My plan is to move all my livestock from the 16g nano to this tank with more live rock of course and possibly some coral from my RSM 250. It's getting kind of cramped in that tank. At this time, I may add one more fish but haven't decided yet, thinking maybe a yellow candy hogfish or yellow coris wrasse. I'm going to stick with my 20 inch razor LED for lighting until I decide on a more permanent light.

saltfan

Congrats. on the new tank! I have there 8 gal nano and had some ?s and same thing answered email very quickly. Then had another ? on there bio pellet reactor and decided to call and they answered the phone and all my ?s. Customer service was A+ in my book. Looking forward to pics and seeing it come to life.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
WOW, Congrats on the UPGRADE!! :yehoo:
I'm with Kyle, this thread is worthless without PICTURES :D

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sweet!!!! But you know the rules..... Pics or it never happened!!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome upgrade mate!! :) Your little nano was so awesome so looking forward to watching this one grow :yup:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
You should convert the nano tank into an invert only tank or something like that. Feature one cool fish!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Okay, here are a couple of preliminary photos.
y2epagy3.jpg

jururugu.jpg

saltfan

How big is your drain line? Looks quite big in the pic with a rather small ( stock Cadlights ) return pump . I would think about an upgrade on the return pump. Mine is only there 8 gal. model but found that the stock return pump was just not enough... Just my opinion.. You will love the neotherm heater.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How big is your drain line? Looks quite big in the pic with a rather small ( stock Cadlights ) return pump . I would think about an upgrade on the return pump. Mine is only there 8 gal. model but found that the stock return pump was just not enough... Just my opinion.. You will love the neotherm heater.

The drain line is twice as large but I have a valve to limit the flow. I plan on playing around with it and see what works and sounds the best.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Rinsed a ton of sand this evening and placed in the tank. I hate that part of the set up. I can't imagine rinsing enough to put in the larger tanks. I also added some Fiji pink live sand to help with the diversity and cycling. Also added about a fourth of the water. Might start moving some live rocks to it tomorrow. I'm also toying with the idea of adding a dwarf angel since I've never had one down the road of course.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Dwarf angels are the best! So much character and personality :D If you keep decent LR and feed them well you shouldn't have any trouble with coral nipping :) Mine doesn't touch anything bar the rocks and what I feed :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My cherub angel is cool except he has been a little tormenting devil to my pair of clowns since he got bigger.
Maybe he is paying them back for chewing his tail off twice when he was tiny. And maybe they were trying to kill him then cause they knew what was coming :yup:
Mine hasn't been a coral nipper but he is the tank bully now.
Can't wait for your tank to cycle to see what you put in it :D EXCITING!!!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It will be a while before I add new fish livestock, though. I want to make sure everything I move over from my nano is moved in and happy first.