Whippetguy's 16g Nano Tank

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Now that I think I have an idea of how to do things in SW world but always learning, I'm venturing in to the land of nano's. I've always wanted a shrimp/goby pair but wanted it in a small enough tank I could find and watch them do their thing. I purchased 16g Innovative Nuvo Marine aquarium from TB aquatics during their 15% off Memorial sale. Arrived quickly in great shape.

My equipment/mods:

AquaC Remora HOB skimmer
Hydor pico evo powerhead
Via Aqua 50w heater
Stock Nuvo Marine Skyye lights X2
considering replacing the stock filter area with Stevie T's media rack for this tank

Possible Livestock:

Shrimp/goby pair (definite)
Tanaka's pygmy or opossum wrasse (probable)
tailspot or barnacle blenny (possible)
clown goby (possible)
Hector's or Rainford goby (possible)

Coral: Softies/lps: zoas, leathers, ricordea, euphyllia (I'm thinking this selection would be fine with the stock lighting)

I was thinking 3 of the above fish, any thoughts on 4 of those selections since they are all pretty tiny. I do have that skimmer which should keep the tank super clean, with water changes of course.

Appreciate any helpful input.

Last edited:

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Respect man!.. little tanks scare me... big tanks give you quite a cushion.. ..little ones fight back...

engineer goby

Good luck John. I'm with Devon on this one, the smaller the tank the more difficult it seems to me

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good luck with the new nano - looks nice ! Look forward to seeing the build, a Shrimp/goby pair will be fun to watch :dance:

engineer goby

Now that I think I have an idea of how to do things in SW world but always learning, I'm venturing in to the land of nano's. I've always wanted a shrimp/goby pair but wanted it in a small enough tank I could find and watch them do their thing. I purchased 16g Innovative Nuvo Marine aquarium from TB aquatics during their 15% off Memorial sale. Arrived quickly in great shape.

My equipment/mods:

AquaC Remora HOB skimmer
Hydor pico evo powerhead
Via Aqua 50w heater
Stock Nuvo Marine Skyye lights X2
considering replacing the stock filter area with Stevie T's media rack for this tank

Possible Livestock:

Shrimp/goby pair (definite)
Tanaka's pygmy or opossum wrasse (probable)
tailspot or barnacle blenny (possible)
clown goby (possible)
Hector's or Rainford goby (possible)

Coral: Softies/lps: zoas, leathers, ricordea, euphyllia (I'm thinking this selection would be fine with the stock lighting)

I was thinking 3 of the above fish, any thoughts on 4 of those selections since they are all pretty tiny. I do have that skimmer which should keep the tank super clean, with water changes of course.

Here are my preliminary photos.
67b27652.jpg

93f7c267.jpg

Appreciate any helpful input.

Looking at the reflection on the tank are those boxers or pj's. :)

dmatt88

Hey john the shrimp goby pair is a total hoot to watch. I put em in the 40 n now want them in the big tank. The shrimp never stops n the goby just moves wherever his buddy is. Swims backwards as well.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

Built347

Hey john the shrimp goby pair is a total hoot to watch. I put em in the 40 n now want them in the big tank. The shrimp never stops n the goby just moves wherever his buddy is. Swims backwards as well.

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

That sounds really cool..

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 sounds like a cool tank...I'd like to see it.

The shrimp & goby are great, I'd keep the bio load as low as possible...The barnacle blennies are very cool and also different, I think they'd make good tankmates for the shrimp & goby.

Acanman

Id love to see a photo of the aqua remora skimmer. I used the oceanic skimmed made for biocubes. I removed after a month cuz it didnt skim out anything and messed with my circulation. My 8 gal nuvo took about 3 months to stabilize (no more diatoms/algae blooms). I check InTank website daily waiting for them to release a media rack for the 8 gal. With your stock lighting you can place some sps at the top. I forgot if you included any additional circulation/powerhead in the setup? If not i highly recommend :). Im eager to see this shrimp goby pairing for I am not familiar.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Okay, here are the new photos. I'm planning on filling it and placing the rock the middle of next week.

bd4dacac.jpg

2ae3a5df.jpg

0bf45af5.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not a dumb question. I'm trying a little experiment. I've read some tanks that have a ball of chaeto in the tank while cycling helps avoid all the nasty algae cycles while you're waiting for the bacteria to build up. I'm not intending on keeping that chaeto there. I will have a little bit in the media rack in the back, but most of this will go back in my other tanks fuge. I hate the waiting....:drooool:

Choff

Now that I think I have an idea of how to do things in SW world but always learning, ....

OK, that's actually a really cool tank, but if I have to wait for that statement to be true I may be able to get one of these with my first SS check. :laugh: