Where do I put carbon

EdgeKrusher

So I was wondering where people put their bags of activated carbon?

I would think you would want it in a high flow area of the sump. or is it to be used in a canister filter only. I can't see why the later would be the case. And it's probably not going to do much in the main sump compartment, right? would it work if it was placed between the baffles? or is that too much of a risk with water overflowing? It seems like water would move very well through it, but I've never used it before.

EK

Witfull

carbon is wonderful stuff, it can be used either actively or passively. it can be placed so that water is forced through it, such as in a filter or baffles or just sitting in an area of the sump. carbon doesnt pack so tight as so some water will always flow through it.

im a little crazy, i use it passive/agressive...its in the micron filter tray where water will swirl around and through it and fall out through the trickle holes. water is not forced through it, but some must go into it.

EdgeKrusher

Thanks wit. Now another question. How much do you use, and how often? I've been hearing of people running it 24/7, and others that are running it once a week for a set number of hours.

Witfull

i use about .5 liter 24/7, changed every month or or less. its not alot but i think it helps.

EdgeKrusher

Good Deal. I've been reading that about 3 tablespoons per 50 gallons seems to be the current amount used. I think I'll try that and if it's too much I can always cut back. Thanks again Witful! :D

EdgeKrusher

Why do you have to do this to me drdrew? LOL :explode:

Other than testing for phosephates (which shouldn't affect the po4 level in the aquarium to noticably if at all), or testing for a high rate of trace element depletion, I don't...

Spooda420

3 tablespoons per 50g seems light.... I use about 3 fistfulls for a 120. ( before I had the sump and now i use about 5-6 fistfulls, I know my accuracy of measuring sucks.... but I just guess with carbon...

Witfull

use a high grade carbon and there will not be PO4 issue. and for the record...3 Tablespoons per 50g?

EdgeKrusher

Originally posted by Witfull
use a high grade carbon and there will not be PO4 issue. and for the record...3 Tablespoons per 50g?

it's what I read on multiple articles. I also read 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I fill a 3x8ish filter bag (the kind used in canister filters for custom media) to the top, and run it passively in my HOB skimmer in one of the extra compartments right before its returned the the tank. I change the carbon out about once every 3-4 weeks.

I am trying a different kind of carbon, its called HBH aqua-pure, I almost bought the marineland stuff again, but they jacked the price up...again (now $13.99 for the big one compared to $9.99). I was curious, what is the difference between high density and activated?

livingreef2004

the best way to use it is to get a very small grain of high quality carbon make a canister out of pvs and run it in a loop from your sump that way the carbon is very tight and the water is forced through it

I use two Chemi-Pure bags in my sump.They are working much better than
any other carbon I ever used.One bag for every 50 gallons is all you need and change them every 4 months.So far all my corals and fishes are doing fine.

VINA

Tosh_Auer

3 Tablespoons/50gal? I use about a 3inchX8Inch bag full of the stuff on my freshwater. Is there a reason why you use so much less in a saltwater tank?

Craig Manoukian

I put a small media bag and the carbon media holder for my fluval in the out go of my overflow. About 7 tablespoons for 110 gallons.:D